Wacom and Trackpad interference

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PhantomAGN, Jun 15, 2009.

1. PhantomAGN macrumors newbie

Hey all, been a lurker of the site for a while, and I gotta say it's a great community.

So, I have a Wacom Intuos-3 4x6 tablet, it's about a year old now, and never given me much grief. I use it as a gaming mouse mostly, as I never got good at drawing with it... :eek:
    However, it has recently (since about a week ago) begun to make my trackpad act very strangely.

The symptoms are a little hard to summarize, but I will do my best.
    When you move the mouse with the trackpad, it does not activate any rollover items, and if you subsequently move the tablet mouse, the cursor teleports back to wherever it had been left by the tablet beforehand, and then moves as normal.
    Expose hotcorners cannot be activated, nor can Safari's topsites. Trampoline's popup menu is similarly not clickable by the trackpad.
    However, clicking on a window bar is like click-lock, when you click again the window moves there (but it is not drawn while moving, which is strange).

It did this same thing a while ago, but only while connected, and this was ok. But now the issues persist after unplugging even. They do however go away when i log out and in again. This is what I have been doing, but I really do not like having to do that, especially since I need a more portable computer.

Does anyone know what the issue is?
    I have the absolute newest driver and OS updates, and my mouse settings have not changed since the issue began to show up.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is it configured to use "mouse mode" or "pen mode"?

3. PhantomAGN thread starter macrumors newbie

It is in mouse mode, and it is supposed to be able to recognize the two differently.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's supposed to, yes. If you pick the mouse up and put it down somewhere else on the tablet, does the cursor immediately jump to that point? It sounds to me like it's stuck in pen mode.

5. PhantomAGN thread starter macrumors newbie

It does not jump, though that might actually be cool. I think you could be onto something, I will twiddle with settings when I get the chance.
    (My laptop power adaptor failed today, just before I meant to use it all day tomorrow, now I have to wait until the weekend to get it replaced...)

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I hope you find something, because that's all that comes to mind.

Using the mouse in pen mode sounds cool until you try it. It could just be something one has to get used to, but to me it feels like my mouse is glued to the tablet.

7. PhantomAGN thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I removed every last trace of the software, and meticulously went through the system and got rid of every mouse helper, driver, or whatever.

Put them all back, except for the wacom driver.
    I leant the tablet to a friend, and he is testing to see if he can get the same issue.

We will know in a week if it was just me, or if it is causable.
    In the meantime he can doodle and draw.

----Update----
    Well, after putting it all back it seems to work fine.
    I'll have to see what exactly caused it, but for anyone with this issue, you can just purge and start over.
    And the friend I lent it to has decided he needs one himself.