Wacom Bamboo (NotTouch) and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CMelton, Oct 16, 2009.

1. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

Hey Guys & Gals hope you can help.

I can't find a definitive answer to my question anywhere but i suspect the answer is no.

With the Wacom Bambo (without the multitouch) can you annotate directly onto pdfs, keynote, pages, numbers / any similar program? My girlfriend bought one last year for her design work and would also like to do this without using the ink window - not really practical.

In the ink preference pane that appears when you plug in the Bamboo there is only an option that allows hand writing to be converted to text. This is not what she is trying to achieve. She wants it to be her handwriting and diagrams on documents without her having to use the ink window and paste her annotations work into the document and then have to position them - this isn't even possible with pdfs.

If this is not possible directly from within Snow Leopard, are there any programs that allow her to do this. She doesn't have Microsoft word and doesn't really want to have to start using that - cost implications.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CMelton

2. dyn macrumors 68030

Regarding pdfs: Preview does not allow you to annotate by just writing and drawing. You need to use the built-in tools by creating circles, rectangles and typing text (or write it on the tablet and have it convert to text).
    Skim on the other hand allows you to use the freehand mode when annotating so you can draw and write on a pdf. Skim is freeware.

There is an advantage to having things not handwritten: others are able to read it without effort (for most people this is a biiiiiiig advantage since they have crappy handwriting). It also allows for searching using the built-in search tool for that specific application and/or Spotlight. However, drawing your own diagrams is a bit easier when you can draw it freehand which fortunately most applications allow you to do (and sometimes it's more useful and easier to use predefined shapes, it saves a bit of time).

Just play around with the various annotating and drawing options in each application and decide if that will do as an alternative. You might not get freehand annotating in all applications.