Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I'm extremely interested in this, too. I'm hoping I will be able to use it like how I use the trackpad on my MacBook. My only concert is the placement of the buttons.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Thats what I was hoping for - the MacBook track pad experience on my iMac. Looking forward to some proper reviews. I know a lot of iMac users have been hoping for something like this.

illibball087

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2009
nice find man this will be great for a mac pro touchpad i cant stand mice over that awesome apple trackpad

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd hope it will communicate well enough to give desktop users the same functionality of the trackpad as well, however, it will take Apple to really allow that to happen. Two finger swipe is easy, three and four, pinch & zoom ... I'm thinking Apple would be twuntish enough to forbid that.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Another thing that I'm hoping it will support is the ability to enter Asian characters. Currently, it is only possible on MacBook Pros (and aluminum MacBook?). It is essentially the same input system as the iPhones.

emjay247

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Bought mine today...

...at the Best Buy in Roseville, MN. They were out of stock yesterday and got a new shipment of 4 today. Picked up one of them for $69.99 + MN tax.

The touch interaction is not as intuitive as I thought it would be for me. It's basically a hyper-sensitive trackpad with many of the same gestures as the new MacBook Pros. No three-finger swiping, but programmable hot-buttons to the side of the pad.

I use my computer for a lot of of graphic work and imaging. So far, I can see using it as a supplemental tool, but it will never replace my larger Wacom with a stylus. It does make an excellent mouse replacement for my needs. I have very large hands that tend to sweat a lot and my wrists are always uncomfortable, so I'm happy to have found the most ergonomic input device yet. My hand!

The Wacom Bamboo Touch is an excellent value for under $80. Aesthetically pleasing to look at and sturdily produced. *****

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
Wahoo ...

I have had a Pen & Touch model on order from Staples for a week. It is suppose to arrive today or tomorrow. If it works out, I will get a second one so that I have them for both work & home. Wacom is nuts ... these were available via BestBuy and others for more than a week before Wacom made their announcement. Sort of the opposite of Vaporware ...

Pundle

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Damn, I bought a regular Wacom Bamboo (non-Touch) six months ago, so I can't really justify getting this...

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
Just got a Bamboo Pen & Touch today ...

I ordered it a week ago from the local Staples. They shipped it from a store in PA. Unfortunately, it is suppose to be a B-Day present and my B-day is next Wednesday ... need to talk to SWMBO!

EDIT:

I did not ask, but opened it anyway. Wow ... very cool. I have not used the pen yet, but the touch features are exactly what I want to unify my laptop experience with my Mac Mini and when my MBP is "docked" on my desk. Bravo to Wacom for putting out a reasonably priced touch pad mouse alternative.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I ordered it a week ago from the local Staples. They shipped it from a store in PA. Unfortunately, it is suppose to be a B-Day present and my B-day is next Wednesday ... need to talk to SWMBO!

EDIT:

I did not ask, but opened it anyway. Wow ... very cool. I have not used the pen yet, but the touch features are exactly what I want to unify my laptop experience with my Mac Mini and when my MBP is "docked" on my desk. Bravo to Wacom for putting out a reasonably priced touch pad mouse alternative.

Is it just like using a trackpad, only bigger then? Thats sort of what I am hoping for.

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
Is it just like using a trackpad, only bigger then? Thats sort of what I am hoping for.

For the 1 and 2 finger gestures, yes, it is a giant macbook track pad. I am extremely pleased with it. I hope that they will eventually add the 3 and 4 finger gestures. I have not played with the pen much, but I have used them before on a Motion Computing tablet and a previous Wacom Pen tablet, so I know that that can do. :D

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It looks like a neat gadget. But the few gestures supported do not compel me to replace my mouse.

I'll wait until I can reasonably replace my 24" LCD with a multi touch display. Also until the interactivity is like in Minority Report:D.

Though I would consider a multi-touch tablet computer to replace my laptop. If the screen is big enough, supports handwriting and the screen is big enough to replace letter size paper.

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
First full day of use report ...

So, I now have a full day of use under my belt ... don't that make me experienced!!!

Good: Quiet, fun to use

Not So Good: Two finger gesture for forward/backward works 1 in 4 tries. I am unable to map ctl->alt->z or ctl->alt->x to a button for switching my KVM between computers. The assignment in the preferences gadget shows the sequence with a capitol Z or X, when I check with "od -c" I see a "^z" and it suspends the command.

Different: dust ... I keep getting the urge to wipe it off because of dust or other debris. I am curious as to how long the service of the tablet will last under heavy use. My MBP (Early 08) does not show much wear.

Need to get used to: cut/paste of large blocks ... I was doing a bunch of C# code (don't ask) today and cut/paste of large blocks was challenging. It is the one place that I have seen a definite advantage to the mouse.

Considering that the Pen & Touch (the one that I got) came with the newly obsolete Adobe Elements 6, I think it is a great value. I will keep using it as my primary pointing device for the near term. I can imagine that I will be able to make a real decision with a week or so of use.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
I envy you guys who have been able to get it already. My BestBuy doesn't seem to have them yet and its really annoying me. I've love you have this not only for my MBP, but for my ThinkPad. I hate using the trackpad on it because its so small and the mouse nub is annoying at best.

I'm in Mass and haven't seen any reports that its available here. I plan on stopping by BB later today to see if they have any in. I'm not sure how much I would use it, but I def want to give it a test drive.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I envy you guys who have been able to get it already. My BestBuy doesn't seem to have them yet and its really annoying me. I've love you have this not only for my MBP, but for my ThinkPad. I hate using the trackpad on it because its so small and the mouse nub is annoying at best.

I'm in Mass and haven't seen any reports that its available here. I plan on stopping by BB later today to see if they have any in. I'm not sure how much I would use it, but I def want to give it a test drive.

Not sure how close to NH you are but I've seen them in the Portsmouth, NH BB and almost every Staples up here has them.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Not sure how close to NH you are but I've seen them in the Portsmouth, NH BB and almost every Staples up here has them.

Too far away. I don't have my own car and the car I'm borrowing from family wouldn't survive the ride.

Staples has them though? Maybe I'll call the local Staples and see if they have it......

:rolls eyes: And its not listed on the website. Looks like I have to call....

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Was thinking of getting a Wacom for some light work, will probably pick a Pen And touch up, shame its not a little bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.