Wacom Intous 3 and Portablitiy?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by GStreakT, Apr 12, 2008.

1. GStreakT macrumors member

Hello. I'm an visual communications student and also a digital artist. I purchased the 6 x8 Wacom Graphire 2 (sapphire) three years ago and now it's starting to malfunction (as in the USB cord won't be detected by the computer sometimes). Even though it wasn't as high tech as the Intuos, I liked the fact that I didn't have to pay for a mouse and also because it was really light and portable.

I'm now looking to buy a new tablet and am considering the Intous 3 (6 x 8), but I have two questons: Is the Intous portable? As in can it be stuffed in a backpack (mine can hold a laptop with a 15.4 " screen, tht of the MacBook Pro specifically). And like the Graphire, does the Intous come with a protective layer of glass or some sort? I wouldn't want the drawing surface to be scratched. Also, does the mouse come in handy? I'm not too convinced about Wacom's decision in shipping tablets that necessarily accompanies a mouse, although they do look sweet. I'd just like feedback on these. I'll be waiting for your answers. Thanks a lot!

2. klymr macrumors 65816

I don't know if it's the most portable thing out there, but I have taken mine for a ride in my backpack a few times, and mine is the 6x11. It's a little bit longer than my 17" MBP. I can't remember the dimensions of the 6x8. I'd guess it's probably a bit bigger than the 15" MBP.

As far as a cover over the surface, no there is not one really. Well, there is in a sense. Mine has a piece of gray plastic that is the drawing surface, but the bottom half of that lifts up and you can peel it off and put a new one on. All the edges around the drawing surface are pretty much free reign for scratches. They do make carrying cases for the Intuos3 tablets. I think I will be purchasing one real soon, in fact, maybe I'll go order one right now. I put my tablet in my MBP sleeve when I carried it before.

I use the mouse all the time with mine, but that's because I don't have a mouse otherwise. Anyway, I hope this all helps. BTW, the case is about $25, and I have mine ordered now. ;)

3. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, Klymr. I noticed they're making carrying cases for the Intous but the one I looked up was for 40 dollars. I didn't find one for 25$. Would you know where I could find that? O, also, one last question. Since you mentioned you've carried your Intous around, where do you put the pen? I'm so used to the Graphire 2's design of sliding the pen into the tablet. Just curious =)

4. klymr macrumors 65816

Hey, sorry. Where did you see a case for $40?! This is the one that I was talking about here. The one I got was $28, and that includes free shipping. There is an elastic loop inside for holding the pen. When I took mine to work I just stuck the pen, holder, and mouse in a pocket in my backpack. Worked out great. Anyway, good luck deciding!

5. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late repy. I actually saw the bag on Amazon, but later I looked at the tablet accessories on the official Wacom website and found it for much cheaper. Thanks!