Wacom Intuos 3 SE or regular?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mysterious, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mysterious macrumors newbie

I'll be getting one (6x8) but I'm not sure if I should get the classic one, or the Special edition. The SE one would cost me $70 more, and it comes with the thinner classic ben, extra nibs, and a transparent overlay. If anyone here has experience with these things, do you think the extra 70 is justfied or needed? Thanks.

2. Mysterious thread starter macrumors newbie

3. munckee macrumors 65816

The standard intuos comes with a few extra nibs. I guess a spare pen would be nice if you used two different types regularly, but...

I wouldn't personally pay the extra.

4. Mysterious thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone prefer the thin pen to the thick one, or use the overlay? I don't think the overlay is sold seperately.

5. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

I've been using Wacom tablets for 12+ years now. Dating all the way back to the Ultrapad's with the pencil thin pens they had back then. I prefer the thick rubber coated pens shipping with the latest Intuos 3 models.
    $70 for a few extra nibs and a less comfortable pen (imho) is not worth it at all. You should get extra nibs with any tablet (about 3 or so).
    If you plan to trace pictures (for whatever reason), you can always go to an artshop and buy some cheap flexible plastic sheets of the desired thickness and some double sided cellotape and fashion a transparent overlay yourself. That's what we used to do when the old Ultrapads shipped with transparent overlays by default and had worn down over the years with use.
    Hope this helps.

6. Mysterious thread starter macrumors newbie

That actually helped a lot; you've convinced me to get the ceaper model. Thanks :)