wacom intuos3 6x8 special edition

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by puckhead193, Sep 25, 2007.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Does anyone have the new intuos special edition tablet? Is it worth the price?
    I'm not a designer i'm an video editor but for the few times i do photoshop i can't stand having a mouse! Also i'm taking a photoshop class. Do you think its worth it?
    It does look really nice.
    What about the new bamboo series. Can u use photoshop CS3 with it?

http://www.wacom.com/intuos/se.cfm
    http://www.wacom.com/bambootablet/bamboofun.cfm

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I'm kinda in the same boat as you - I've narrowed my options down to either the Bamboo Fun A5 tablet or the Intuos3 A6 wide tablet.
    Obviously the Bamboo Fun (more targeted at basic CS users than the other Bamboos) is larger, but the extras that the Intuos offers (greater pressure points, pen nibs etc) is a better investment as my Photoshop/Illustrator skills grow.

Price difference between the two isn't massive - around £30 over here. I'd like some feedback from those on MR with the Intuos A6 wide (mainly regarding size constraints) but from what I've seen on thar intarwebs I'll be plumping my money on the Intuos...

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

4. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

any one have the intuos 4x6? Its only $200 the same price as the medium bamboo. Is 4x6 too small to be effective? I got a 4x6 photo and it seems small. I plan on using it with my 20" imac

5. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

I got the Intuos3 6x11 and it's great! I use it in Corel Draw and PS CS3.

I really don't know what it would be like to use a smaller tablet, but I may find it a little too restricting due to the smaller drawing surface. The 6x11 works well for me.

6. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

7. Rube macrumors member

I read the 6x4 is a little tight. Wacom measures their pads in square inches.

The 6x4 has 24 inches total room to work. The 6x11 has 66 inches total space. Take the total inches and divide it into the price to get your average price per inch of workspace.

The 6x11 seems like a much more attractive offer. The cheapest I could find is Costco for $300 dollars. If you are not a member it will run 315.00 with free shipping. The 6x4 runs $200 there. 6x8 for $270

$4.72 / sq. inch = 6x11
    $8.34 / sq. inch = 6x4
    $5.63 / sq. inch =6x8

The 6x4 does not look like a very good deal if you break it down like I have done.

edit: The bamboo is strictly for doing things like sending notes in cursive or signing things(Windows Vista), or for doodles according to Wacom's site.