Wacom Intuos3 problem and....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deceptichop, Feb 18, 2009.

1. deceptichop macrumors regular

its no longer under warranty and therefore I cant contact the manufactuer :(

Hopefully the genious' here can be of assistance.

I have been successfully using a Wacom tablet running a Desktop G4 with a 28" monitor for a long time now. I am an illustrator and I use it for work everyday. The good news is that I just swapped the old ass G4 for a brand new MBP unibody. I set up the 28" monitor to display the MBP desktop and it looks great! However, the Wacom now performs HORRIBLY!!!!! I disconnected the 28" and tried the Wacom on just the MBP and the Wacom worked just fine.

So, the problem is the MBP +external display+Wacom trying to work together. What do you guys suggest?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

if your Wacom works fine if directly connected to your MBP then I would assume that the issue has to be your adapter between your MBP and the 28" monitor. I'm currrently using Wacom Intuous 3 with my Unibody MBP and 24" ACD and I have no issues.

When you say your Wacom is acting horribily, can you be more specific ? Is it lagging ?

3. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks for the quick reply FarSide,

I believe the adapter Im using is a DVI? I bought it from Apple along with my MBP from Apple.com. There's no name on the adapter, but I think thats what its called.

and yes, it laggs tremendously. And it only allows me to use maybe 60% of the tablet now. Its basically useless now. Everything else works though?

What do you think i should do?

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

using process of elimination...

Wacom ->MBP = Works Fine
    Wacom -> MBP -> DVI to Mini Display Port Connector -> Monitor = Severe Lag

When you say you could only use 60% of the Wacom, what do you mean ? The real estate on the wacom board ? or the functionality ?

5. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

FarSide,

As far as the 60% goes, ya, it's both.

Ive actually had to return to the mouse.

I send Wacom an tech support email, but they havent, and probably will not reply

Thanks Farside

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I have 6 x 11 and the left edge of my Wacom pad goes from far left of the ACD and the right edge reaches far right of my MBP. I'm assuming when you say 60% your Wacom pad isnt representing the entire screen real estate. Is this correct ?

Its hard for me to believe that its your Wacom when you have no issues using it only with MBP. The issue is only present when your using your external monitor + MBP.

Sorry for so many questions... are you using the MBP screen + external monitor screen ? or clamshell style.

7. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your help Farside! I apprieceate it. Good news is that it's fixed!

2 reasons why it wasnt working. My driver was 4.0, not the current 6.0, AND I upgraded to OS 10.5.6. Once i fixed those, worked like a charm :)