Wacom - Not a clue which one I should get

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by LERsince1991, Nov 10, 2009.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

So im in the market for a Wacom (bamboo?) graphics tablet and I've borrowed my friends (MTE-450) Wacom which is A6 size and Im using it on a 22" monitor and a 13" macbook. Cut a long story short - I love it!

So I'm thinking the best size for me would be an A5 one. This is because its the top of my budget (maybe) and would definitely suit a 13" macbook screen and be sufficient for a 22" (I can use this A6 pad fairly well).

But theres so many to chose from, they all seem to have the same name but look different and be different models...

I'm in the UK and either getting it for a Christmas present or if I end up getting a cheap one I'll buy it now.

I've also posted thread in the market place for a second hand one here

Luke.

Its between these:
    Wacom Bamboo Pen - £50
    Pros: Cheap. Cons: Small, no touch

Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch - £75
    Pros: Touch Cons: small

Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch - £90
    Pros: Nicer colour, touch. Cons: More expensive for the same size, lack of buttons

Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch Medium - £155
    Pros: Larger, Nicer colour Cons: Expensive, lack of buttons

And I think this is discontinued?
    Wacom Bamboo Medium Pen - £120
    Pros: cheaper medium size alternative. Cons: Seemingly discontinued, dont like the design, cable comes out the top which wont work for me on my desk layout.

2. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

I tried out the pen and touch A6 in a Mac reseller shop just recently. I found it very good to use - the touch feature was something I wrote to Wacom ages ago asking if they could introduce it. With my current tablet I at times want to use the pad like a mousepad (especially after putting the pen down, but also not needing to use it for much ie in MS Word). So, I'd definitely recommend going for a (pen and) touch version.

I use an old A6 Graphire tablet, but I only use it for editing photos and find that size fits my needs (and desk) fine even when using a larger monitor. I'll be getting the new A6 pen and touch soon though. You may well find the larger tablet more useful as it will allow for more accuracy with your drawing. Illustrator/designer friends of mine use the A5/A4 size Intuos tablets.

The Intuos range is very nice to use, and offers more sensitive pens and a wider choice of sizes and pen nibs. As I'm sure you've already seen, they cost a lot more and aren't touch enabled yet.

Best advice as always with these things - go try out the different sizes in a shop.

3. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hey Luke :)

I've had an A5 Wacom Graphire for a looong time and find that size to be perfect - not too large it becomes anoying having to move my hand/arm around and not too small that I feel cramped. I also have an A6 Graphire (Saphire?) which is fine for short usage, but as implied above, feels cramped after a while...

Just before I changed jobs I also used an A5 Wide Intuose 4 - all I can say about that is it's lovely and I'm anoyed my Gaphire can't 'grow up' into one hehe

I guess I'm trying to say, if you think you will be using it a lot, consider the A5 - you'll notice the difference when using it with your 22" in my opinion.

The budget versions shown above will likely be 'OK' but probably won't last as long. Wacoms last a looong time. If you want a budget option, there's a reasonable one mentioned in the current issue of .net magazine for about £80 ish which looked ok and was A5. Can't remember other details though, sorry :(

Anyways, good luck ;)

/Doug

5. zlinuk macrumors member

I've got an A4 intuos 3 i'm looking to get rid of if your interested.

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Look for an Intous 3. They're higher quality than the bamboo line at decent prices. They also have tilt detection (kinda cool, useless if you use GIMP though).

7. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh I went into Pc world (the only place that I can find them here) and they wouldn't let me try it out...
    Yeh I wouldnt mind either the intuos or bamboo, but the cost is the main thing

Hey Doug!
    I couldnt find anything on .net magazine... A5 for £80? Thats bloody good, cheapest I can find the new one is £155!
    Im going to go for the A5 for an xmas present :)

Yeh sure, What price? What size? What comes with it? Is there anything wrong with it? :)

I would like to but the cost is the main thing. I would prefer a A5 bamboo to an A6 intuos

Thanks for the replies
    Luke.

8. zlinuk macrumors member

9. ryanide macrumors 6502

Traded Intuos 3 for Bamboo Fun

I had the 9x12" Intuos 3 (and 2 other models before that) and just sold it to buy the bamboo fun. I really like the size of the fun as it is much more manageable on the desk than the larger tablet.

The touch features work really well and make for a nice mouse replacement.
    The Pen is just as good and accurate (for me) when doing photoshop and general retouching..

To me this is the best wacom I have ever owned!! The bamboo touch and Bamboo touch & pen are a little too small, the fun is a perfect size. Also works really nice with Apple's bluetooth wireless keyboard (without the numeric keys).

And of course the best reason is that the silver color goes perfect with the aluminum of the other mac products!!

Bamboo fun:
    Tablet Dimensions (WxH) 13.3" x 8.8" (338mm x 224mm)
    Active Area - Touch (WxH) 7.5" x 5.1" (190mm x 130mm)
    Active Area - Pen (WxH) 8.5" x 5.4" (216mm x 137mm)
    Pressure Levels 1024 on Pen Tip
    Resolution 2540 lpi
    Max Data Rate 133 pps
    Accuracy +/- .02 in (+/- 0.5 mm)
    Tablet Weight 1 lb. 12.5 oz
    Connectivity Standard USB
    Orientation Reversible for right- or left-handed users

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_fun.php

10. kdb31 macrumors member

I mentioned this in another thread but I think you should go for the largest one you can get. Drawing feels a lot more natural to me on a larger surface. It's easier for me to draw loosely use my whole arm rather than just your wrist which helps when tossing all of the straight lines for perspective and what not.

11. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've purchased a Wacom Intuos3 A4 size pad. if its too big I can always just use a portion of the screen, I'm using dual screens with it as well so i doubt it will be too big. :)

Can't wait for xmas when i can actually use it!

12. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Ah excellent - wondered which one you went for... :)

/Doug

13. zlinuk macrumors member