Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
I have a wacom pen & touch small, i don't use my tablet for drawing but as replacement for mouse
I use absolute position

I disable touch gestures because i did not find them very accurate

I would like to replace my tablet and I'm not sure if a bigger ( medium ) tablet would it be better or worst
I use dual monitor setup

Also not sure if on actual Intuos Wacom improved touch control I could also evaluate the intuos Pro

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
Our needs may be different, as I use my Intuos Pro for drawing as well as navigating, etc in Lightroom and PS with a single 30" monitor. That said, I personally find the Medium to be the right size for my usage. I upgraded from a much older model in order to have the increased pressure sensitivity of the newer one.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I am a longtime Wacom tablet user, going back to the ADB days. I've upgraded on occasion, just yesterday buying a new Pro M to replace my last-generation Pro Medium Pen and Touch version. I have been very disappointed with Wacom's quality control since they moved their production from Japan to China - until today, when I finally had time to set up the new Pro M; the Japan-made tablets and styli were impeccably made (having owned one each small/medium/large tablet), and IMO the China-sourced tablets have been creaky and fragile in that there are about 30 of them in use in my company with one of them having issues every couple of weeks. The new Pro M appears to be built very well and is "solid" when put next to my older Pro Pen and Touch (which will be up for sale soon!).

To your point, the touch capabilities/sensitivity of the older Pro Pen and Touch is much more sensitive than the "Bamboo"-based Intuos tablets, but I found myself pretty frustrated with its sensitivity - so much so that I just disabled it. Generally, I draft with a Magic Trackpad 2 with my left hand for navigation/workspace-resizing and a Intuos Pro with my right hand for mousing/drafting/drawing/selection, and leave a mouse nearby for 3D/4D rotation needs - I've been working this way for about 15 years, using a keyboard in the middle of my workstation.

I'll be honest about the new Pro M relevant to your question - it's a huge improvement over the previous two Intuos tablets, and I'm going to leave it on for now. The only issue I have so far is that I have not found a means to invoke the Today/Notifications pane with a two-finger-from-the-edge swipe, but I usually have that Trackpad handy. I'm happy with the new tablet, and will look to replace some of my office tablet hardware. BTW, the new Pro tablets are smaller now with the same active area - a better fit on desks IMHO.

Reactions: al404

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
on the new Pro M is it possible to disable bluetooth?
from what i saw on internet it has a non removable battery

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
on the new Pro M is it possible to disable bluetooth?
from what i saw on internet it has a non removable battery
The Pro M (and L) ships with a long USB A>C cable (A for my 4-year-old rMBP) and a C connection for the tablet. Using the cable, BT on the tablet isn't even on. I opt to use a wired connection most of the time, well, all of the time whenever possible. I checked my Bluetooth devices, and it's not even listed - so, BT is disabled by default when using a cable.

FWIW, I did use BT on my Intuos 3 tablet (it was included with that tablet) and on my aforementioned Pen and Touch tablet (as an add-on wireless kit) - it was laggy and useless IMHO. I'm going to stick with a wired connection for now. My only fear here is what of the cost of replacing the wireless kit should it die but it's a 2-year warranty, that and Wacom America is only a few miles from one of my offices here in Portland. I hope that answers this question! Still, no buyer's remorse! Cheers!

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
one last question :)
do you know how the paper version does it work, not sure if it read the the pencil pressure.
is not possible to get the same results without the special pen?

it would be useful if it can OCR text

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I only have viewed short YouTube videos of the Paper Edition, deciding ultimately I didn't need or want the added features and gel pen. IOW, I have no experience with the Paper Edition. I do know, from Wacom's own web site, that the pen is not pressure-sensitive and there are no OCR capabilities. I already use Illustrator to vectorize scans of my sketches, and also own a iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil and use it directly to import my work into my desktop apps.

If your understanding of US English speech is good, my favored YouTube video for the Paper Edition version is here, and the author specifically goes into the Gel Ink Pen and uses it in that video:
NEW: Wacom Intuos Pro PAPER EDITION! Gimmick or Godsend?

al404

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
just got the wacom pro m paper and i getting used to it, but there is one thing that i can't set like on the old small intuos pen & touch

i use to have a drag or click and hold action associated to the upper pen button
holding the button i could scroll a safari or any page like if was grabbing it
but i can't find same behavior on this, or is not working, i tried click and hold click but doesn't work ( touch input are on )

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
i use to have a drag or click and hold action associated to the upper pen button
That behavior has been renamed to the "Pan/Scroll…" option. I use it in a few apps (a browser I use and the Finder, set up in app-specific options but it also works "globally").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.