Wait 3 weeks for 16 GB or buy base model now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coolguy$$$, Jun 19, 2012.

  1. coolguy$$$ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2012
    #1
    Should I wait 3 weeks for the base model with 16 GB RAM or buy it now with 8 GB RAM ???
     
  2. leenak macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
  3. djmoody macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 13, 2012
    #3
    Based on the vast information you have given me about your needs and your lifestyle, you should definitely buy the one with the potato.



    In all seriousness, how badly do you need a laptop right now? How much do you multitask?
     
  4. MikhailT macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #4
    If you're talking about Retina, you should definitely wait for it with 16GB. You can't upgrade the RAM once you buy the base model, which means you're stuck with this laptop for 2-3 years. Better to get what you want now.

    If you're referring to a non-retina MBP, you can upgrade the RAM yourself later.
     
  5. coolguy$$$ thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2012
    #5
    The only reason I ordered 16GB is to future proof the RMBP.

    It is not easy to wait that long... My local Apple store has few base models available at this moment...
     
  6. smithrh macrumors 68020

    smithrh

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2009
    #6
    For god's sake, it's clear he needs the one with the peach.
     
  7. leenak macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
    #7
    How long do you plan to have this computer? Divide the number of days you have to wait by the number of days you plan to own the computer. Then take the square root of that and multiple by pi. That will give you your answer

    (3 weeks isn't long to wait, patience is a virtue)
     
  8. DanBergundy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2012
    #9
    Since you can't upgrade............... worth the wait.
     
  9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

    Vulcan

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #10
    Wait for sure. RAM isn't upgradable later on. You don't want to be regretting this purchase for the years you'll own it because you didn't want to wait three weeks.
     
  10. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    #11
    I bought a base model but I'm having second thoughts at this point. I'm going to order one with 16GB and then return the one I have now.
     
  11. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

    christophermdia

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    #13
    As others stated...can't upgrade later...retina wil use up memory so you NEED 16!
     
  12. ugp macrumors 65816

    ugp

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Location:
    Inverness, Florida
    #14
    Odds are if you have to ask you won't need it. Have you ever used 16GB of RAM before now? Look at what you are currently using and judge it by that.
     
  13. MikhailT macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #15
    That's inaccurate. When it comes to Retina MBP, he must double what he's using now because he can't upgrade his RAM later in 2-3 years as apps use up more memory as times goes on.

    OP: Everybody has to wait right now, so you're not the only one here. Just get the 16GB model online and wait it out with the rest of us.
     
  14. Zwikker macrumors regular

    Zwikker

    Joined:
    May 28, 2012
    Location:
    Morgantown, WV
    #16
    3 weeks will flyyyyy by! Trust me, just get the best of the best it worth to wait
     
  15. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

    Mac-Tech

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #17

    Get the 16GB of Ram as you can not upgrade if you decide later. Since you waited this long just wait the 3-4 weeks for the new Mac Book Pro. You wont look back once you get this machine according to Retina Mac holders.
     
  16. macbook123 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2006
    #18
    I strongly recommend the 16 GB version if you can afford it now. For some reason I'm using up 7 GB just with Safari, Chrome, and Mail open now.
     
  17. ugp macrumors 65816

    ugp

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Location:
    Inverness, Florida
    #19
    There is something very wrong with that.
     
  18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #20
    This really is the main question. Someone like me, who upgrades every year would be just fine with 8, and selling it would be no problem at all.
     
  19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #21
    OP do you know what RAM is? do you know what can be done on a computer with 8GB vs one with 16GB?

    get what you need, if you need 16 than you have no choice but to wait but sounds like you dont know if you need 8 or 16 shyte you might only need 4
     
  20. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

    Southernboyj

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Location:
    Mobile, AL
    #22
    Are you including Inactive in the "used memory"?
     
  21. Seiko4169 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2012
    Location:
    England
    #23
    I'm sending my back

    Personally I think there are 2 categories. The base or the upgraded.

    The base 2.3,256,8 and the upgrade 2.6,512,16. If you can't get by with the base then I'd jump up to the next tier.

    I ordered and recieved a 2.6, 256, 8 and have decided to return it in favour of the 2.6,512,16. I thought if I was upgrading then I'd upgrade. Note, the only reason I didn't get 16 the day I ordered (launch day) was because I didn't realise the memory couldn't be upgraded.

    If I could have got away with the 256 ssd then the base model would have been fine.

    Just my 2 pennies.:eek:
     
  22. njean777 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #24
    unless you are a movie editor or use photoshop a lot there really is no need for more the 4gb of ram, let a lone 8gb. But if you really want to future proof it an plan to use the computer for 4+ years then by all means splurge and get the 16gb model.
     

Share This Page