Wait a sec....iMac has some good sound

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DrewJM, Dec 9, 2011.

1. DrewJM, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

DrewJM macrumors newbie

Among all of the talk of new iMacs coming in 2012 and new iPads, can I just say I am absolutely happy with the mid 2011 iMac speakers?

As a former Mac Mini user, I graduated to the 21 inch and am completely smitten with the stock sound of the speakers. Rap, acoustic, rock....sure it has "middy" sound but, loud and bassy sound just a little SUB par to full fledge a speaker system, damn...a GOOD stock sound. I'd say, absolutely worthy of some acknowledgement at least...at very least. Can we appreciate this for a minute or two??

2. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

its true, the iMac's speakers are pretty sweet. got a late 2009 iMac here and its all the sound i want, not worth getting any external speakers for me personally.
    it'll be interesting to see what they do with the speakers if they redesign and make the case thinner. hopefully we'll see similar audio performance in the new models, whenever they come that is.. :)

3. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Definitely worth the acknowledgement. I'm constantly impressed by the sound quality, obviously they're never going to give great bass, but that's to be expected. And the bass they do produce it's quite impressive considering what they are.

Here's an image showing just how small they are. They must be only slightly bigger than an inch.
    [​IMG]

4. Somian macrumors member

Somian

I have a 27" iMac and a logitech Z-5400 sound system and for most applications, I use the internal speakers because they just deliver clearer sound. It's easer to understand people in Skype etc.

On the other side, i miss the frequency range of my 5.1 system, but speakers as good as the iMacs internal speakers with a wider frequency range are for example KRK systems monitors where one costs as much as my whole 5.1 system.

5. Kenjhee macrumors regular

Although I ended up building a soundbar with a separate subwoofer and supertweeter, the audio system inside the 27" iMac is not bad. My setup adds another voice to the low midrange and an extra tweet on top for solid vertical imaging. I may try hooking up just my subwoofer to the internal speakers and see how that sounds.

[​IMG]

6. Macman45, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have To Agree

With most here....I have an iMac (27" July 2011) and I work in the music business. I never thought the speakers would be worth a damn, but I was amazed....true, 90% of the time I stream my audio to a 1gigawatt DTS system, but if it's late at night and I don't feel like wearing cans, the sound from my iMac's internal speakers is surprisingly good.

7. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I also like the internal speaks in my iMac 27, but normally use my Soundsticks II for music.

I would like to use both my external Soundsticks and my internal iMac speakers at the same time.

Is this doable in mac OSx Leopard or Lion ?