Wait, Buy, or Defect Where's Apple's mid range?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amuraivel, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Amuraivel macrumors member

    Jan 31, 2006
    Hello Mac people.

    I owned a PB12" (and am typing this on my wife's PB). My powerbook was stolen, and I bought the latest 15" model; as I go to school, I quickly realized the 15", while not heavy is quite a bit of foot print and screen. I sold it this week at a loss on ebay.

    I am reluctant to go back to the 12" because the screen has little space; the 15" was a little overkill, and because the PPC is on its way out. Sure it will be supported by Apple, but by the Open Source community, all those third parties, etc?

    There are rumors circulating about a 13.3" MacBook....This would be my computer (more than likely)

    Sony SZ-140

    Is this what the MacBook would look like? Close to these specs?

    I bought my 1st PB because I liked the hardware, but would like to stay with Apple because I love the software....but there is nothing in their assortment, which fits my needs except powerbook 12" whose days are numbered.

    Is this a typical case of Switch back?

  2. twoodcc macrumors P6


    Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    i guess it depends on when you need it. being an owner of an intel imac, i can tell you that there are some software that's not compatible with my computer yet. but i'm sure they will be in time.

    if you can wait, i'd say wait and see what apple puts out. i personally would never switch back
  3. budugu macrumors 6502

    Sep 8, 2004
    Boston, MA

    switch back and get a light T60 or some thing. to me it looks like you have no problem with the software! apart from eye candiness perhaps. That said if apple were to come with a variation of 12-13" you would be tempted. I say just write down you *requirements* not wants and hypothetical scenerios and settling for an 80-90% with a few compramizes would go a long way. (i speak from my personal experience ;) :rolleyes: :eek:
  4. LACOSTE macrumors member


    Jan 10, 2006
    You sure u wanna wait for the MacBook?

    Your needs wouldnt be helped any by buying the latest innovation.

    The iBooks and Powerbooks available may be adequate for your needs now. So a larger 15" bothered you? too big? and you feel that the 12" PB is inadequate? Im sure alot of people may see it this way. Youre not alone.

    To tell you the truth, buying right now... even buying the intel macs is not really a very oppurtune moment... We will get OSX 10.5 Leopard around the corner which would promise to take advantage of the intel chip. Right now, the intel chip and power PC wont be much different. And if its aesthetics ur looking for... no-one could really tell the diff between MacBook Pro and ur 15 inch.

    Hmmm, ever thought about buying a apple cinema display & a 12" Powerbook combination? OR buying a 17" iMac and a 12" Powerbook (u get the best of both worlds. I did this... i own an iBook G4 and an iMac Intel Core duo. I upgrade alternately between the two. My next update would be to sell my iBook for a new MacBook when Leopard comes out next year (or late this year). THay way you keep up with the mac, in a more efficient and reasonable way.
  5. yellow Moderator emeritus


    Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR

Share This Page