Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

u6crash

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
DeKalb, IL
I bought my 13" White Macbook in February of 2007. I am almost certain that I maxed out the ram at 2GB when I ordered it. However, in looking up some specs on Wikipedia, I found that my machine, which seems to be designated with the model identifier "MacBook 2,1" in the system profiler, can be upgraded to 4GB with a 3GB barrier. If this is true, I may have some upgrading to do!

Is there another number/spec I should check out in the System Profiler to see if I'm eligible for another GB of memory?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
From OWC

**MacBook 1.83GHz and 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Models (May/2007) support maximum of 4.0GB memory installed, MacBook 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo ‘Santa Rosa’ (Nov/2007) models Apple Factory specification maximum 4.0GB. OWC tested to support a maximum of 6.0GB.

So it seems your MB can support 4GB. OWC always test the maximum limits so they shouldn't be talking crap. I would still call them and ask and buy from them at the same time

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Your laptop will only use 3 of that 4 gig.
If you only put 3 gig of ram in you wont have a matched pair, so will loose dual channel, which makes a significant difference.
Basically you need to put a full 4 gig in to get the benefit of 1 extra gig.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That macbook has a GMA950, so it does use system RAM for the GPU. I'd say 15% is significant. The 950's performance is poor enough as it is, without chucking 15% away.

I admit it's poor but for average user it's fine. You won't see that 15% in other than games really and GMA950 is bad for games no matter what hexa-channelling you have. I think the boost for actual RAM performance is only 5% with GMA 950 but the GMA950 will get a boost of ~10%.

4GB is still worth it because it can actually utilize ~3.3GB of it.

u6crash

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
DeKalb, IL
Thanks for all the help! I'm still uncertain if I'll upgrade as I plan to get a new MBP as soon as the refresh comes along. But when that happens I'll be passing this along to my parents.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks for all the help! I'm still uncertain if I'll upgrade as I plan to get a new MBP as soon as the refresh comes along. But when that happens I'll be passing this along to my parents.

I'm sure your parents are fine with 2GB of RAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.