Wait...can I upgrade to 4GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by u6crash, Mar 28, 2010.

1. u6crash macrumors member

u6crash

I bought my 13" White Macbook in February of 2007. I am almost certain that I maxed out the ram at 2GB when I ordered it. However, in looking up some specs on Wikipedia, I found that my machine, which seems to be designated with the model identifier "MacBook 2,1" in the system profiler, can be upgraded to 4GB with a 3GB barrier. If this is true, I may have some upgrading to do!

Is there another number/spec I should check out in the System Profiler to see if I'm eligible for another GB of memory?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

From OWC

So it seems your MB can support 4GB. OWC always test the maximum limits so they shouldn't be talking crap. I would still call them and ask and buy from them at the same time

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Your laptop will only use 3 of that 4 gig.
    If you only put 3 gig of ram in you wont have a matched pair, so will loose dual channel, which makes a significant difference.
    Basically you need to put a full 4 gig in to get the benefit of 1 extra gig.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Less than 5% actually, ~15% if your GPU uses system's memory (RAM), so almost no difference.

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

That macbook has a GMA950, so it does use system RAM for the GPU. I'd say 15% is significant. The 950's performance is poor enough as it is, without chucking 15% away.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I admit it's poor but for average user it's fine. You won't see that 15% in other than games really and GMA950 is bad for games no matter what hexa-channelling you have. I think the boost for actual RAM performance is only 5% with GMA 950 but the GMA950 will get a boost of ~10%.

4GB is still worth it because it can actually utilize ~3.3GB of it.

7. u6crash thread starter macrumors member

u6crash

Thanks for all the help! I'm still uncertain if I'll upgrade as I plan to get a new MBP as soon as the refresh comes along. But when that happens I'll be passing this along to my parents.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm sure your parents are fine with 2GB of RAM

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Since the MacBook runs asymmetric dual-channel, you won't notice a massive difference between 3GB and 4GB. I didn't in my MacBook.