Wait..."Cut" function in Finder???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by devburke, Dec 10, 2008.

1. devburke Guest

I'm not new to OS X, so this isn't like I'm just learning my around around. We all know that Finder doesn't do cut / paste (I'm not trying to start an argument about whether it should or shouldn't), but I just realized that under "Edit", there is a "Cut" listed, with cmd-x as a shortcut.

Why???

Is there any situation in which you can cut in Finder?

Actually, now that I think about it, I could imagine renaming a file or something and wanting to cut and paste the text. Is it only there for the occasional typing in Finder, or are there situations in which it actually cuts files?

2. feuerschlange macrumors regular

Yes it is just only that unfortunately.
    You can find out by this experiment:

Open a new finder window.
    Open the Edit menu -> cut is greyed out.
    Mark any file in the finder menu -> cut is greyed out.
    Hit enter on a marked file, to rename it -> now the cut command is functional.

It would be a pleasure, to have the cut functionality also with files. I for myself have accustomed already to the Mac way and use drag and drop + command+delete afterwards.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can only Cut text in Finder. use drag and drop accompanied with spring loaded folders for a substitute. if you are dragging a file to another disk it will copy by default as indicated by the green plus sign. to move instead hold the command button.

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Apple thinks we are idiots and will cut (delete) our files. :rolleyes: