Wait.... Doesn't ZAGG own the patent to those films?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BNHabs, Jul 7, 2010.

1. BNHabs macrumors regular

ZAGG claims that they own the patent to the films that adhere and don't get scratched up according to there website.

They are also the first ones to come out with the 'wet' solution.

What are other companies like BodyGuardz and Wrapsol using that doesn't breach there patent?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

Without getting into too much detail on patents, I found only one patent with Zagg listed as the assignee. It is a design patent on the Zagg earbuds: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/D607875.html

They may have licensed the patent for the screen protector, but I can't find any reference to which patent covers it because I'm not trying that hard.

3. dmx macrumors 6502a

It's patent pending, so the patent has not been approved or published yet.

It's probably just a marketing thing if you ask me. I doubt they can patent something as simple as a plastic film.

I could be wrong, but i'm guessing the other shields won't infringe on whatever zagg is actually patenting once/if the patent is granted.

4. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

"ZAGG's invisibleSHIELD™ is created from an ultra-tough, patented film exclusively to ZAGG"

I'm guessing that the film they use has been formulated by their chemical engineers and they patented it. What, do you think that there is a magical plastic film factory where it appears? This stuff has to be made from scratch. I'm sure the other companies have sourced their film from someone else with a different formula.

5. draz macrumors 6502a

I read that as 'someone else patented the film, and we are the only company using it'

I could be wrong tho......