Wait even longer for a white macbook refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by i.moroney, Jun 7, 2011.

1. i.moroney macrumors newbie

So.. I guess my predictions were wrong and there was no hardware discussed at WWDC's keynote this year and I'm still wanting to go for the white macbook but I'm not sure if i should hold out for a refresh or just go and buy it.

What do you think?
    :apple::apple:

2. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Get the MacBook Pro 13". Is only 200 more and it's a lot better than the aged MacBook White.

3. i.moroney thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not a fan of the all alluminum body, i'm afraid it will dent and it's a fingerprint magnet!

i also have read that there might be a black macbook with the next refresh. So those are my two main points for holding out

and $200 bucks may not seem like a lot too you but it sure is to me!:D:(
    :apple::apple:

4. wingfaith macrumors newbie

^
    i agreed. One thing i don't like about mbp users is that most of them automatically assumed that alum body > white design. Seriously, not everyone likes alum. But the fact that mbp is a better deal is a undeniable truth since you get so much for more for another 200.

Anyways, i''d rather have a macbook than being one of the hundreds of mbp users in my university.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it's not all about looks, aluminum helps with heat transfer and the like. macbook is probably the apple model that makes the least sense, as most people paying $999 would just pay $1199 for much better specs, a backlit keyboard and an aluminum body but i suppose it makes sense in one way. i suppose if you prefer plastic, want to save a couple hundred dollars, and still want an actual mac, the the macbook is for you. you can get a refurbished model for $850 and then upgrade the ram and hdd to 4gb/7200rpm 250gb for another $95 or so, totaling about $945, which is less than a new entry level. then you have a 2.4ghz/4gb/7200rpm mac with an nvidia gpu which isn't too shabby. something to think about if you are considering the 2010 model and wouldn't mind getting a refurb.

6. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

True. Also, Apple's white plastic laptops have always gotten far better Wi-Fi reception than their aluminum laptops. In fact Apple's aluminum laptops have always had the very worst or among the worst Wi-Fi reception of any laptops by any manufacturer. That's because aluminum blocks Wi-Fi signals.

7. Cole JM macrumors regular

Where are the facts bro, This seems like a baseless guess from someone who couldnt cough up the extra 200

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'm curious as to when the MacBook will be upgraded as well. There have been zero rumors about an upgrade from what I know. The Buyer's Guide shows its been 387 days which is 5+ months longer than any of the past times between refresh.

Come on Apple, slap a Sandy Bridge in there and ship those puppies!!!!

9. peanuthead macrumors member

My aluminum MBP gets much better wifi reception than my 2 plastic PC laptops...

10. xxxamazexxx macrumors member

And this seems like a frivolous exclamation from someone who prided himself excessively on the puny $200 he was able to cough up.

It is not practical to argue whose aesthetics (the MacBook's or the MacBook Pro's) is superior. It is simply up to your personal taste. There are a lot of people who can afford as many Macs as they like, but go with the white MacBook simply because they like its look better.

(Or maybe they are not the hardware-obsessive typical PC nerds.)

The extra $200 can only be said to be worth the hardware bump, which traditionally is no more than a 2GB RAM upgrade. The base level MacBook Pro is merely the concurrent MacBook clad in aluminum and stuffed with an extra 2GB of RAM (and the backlit keyboard, and the ambient light sensor, if you can care more).

As to the heat thing, here's my 2-cent. Plastic is more a heat insulator and aluminum more a heat conductor. Therefore the MacBook Pro is better at dissipating the heat generated inside to the outside (read: your surroundings) while the MacBook will simply keep both environments intact. Again it depends on your usage: I would not like to turn my room into a fireplace after one hour of web-browsing (and conversely, you may not want your Mac spoiled by long-hour gaming).

In a nutshell, to each his own.

11. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

I'm beginning to lose hope that there will be a MB refresh.

-t