Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I am thinking about getting another computer for the living room, since it is the living room I think the new iMac is simply good and gorgeus for this.

It has iLife 08 and 10.4, but not 10.5 Should I Just wait until January or even after Mac World 2008 before getting one? Of course, as a fan my fingers and wallet tingle to get the latest of the latest, but .. perhaps I should just wait? That way I don't buy it and then upgrade to 10.5 and miss out new hardware later?

I can't ever choose!

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Buy it now, or when Leopard comes out. Anything past that is just playing the usual Apple waiting game. There won't be any substantial upgrade for a while anyway.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
When is Intel making its new chips available? I don't think there will be new iMacs before then. It may also take a few months after the new chips come out. That could be a long wait.

That only leaves you with the decision about whether waiting for another two months for Leopard (and save some money), as I don't think many people are expecting Apple to introduce it before the end of October.

dirtleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2006
St. Louis
If you are needing to upgrade or just want the new hardware, do it.

We just upgraded to a new iMac and love it. Tiger is very slick and the iMac is terrific. We will probably upgrade to Leopard when it comes out, but we really needed the upgrade. We had been waiting for the iMac update for several months. I had hoped that it would coincide with the Leopard release, but I am more than happy that we did not wait another month or more. Leopard would be nice to have, but the new iMac was a MUST have for us.

I'm just sayin'.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
When is Intel making its new chips available? I don't think there will be new iMacs before then. It may also take a few months after the new chips come out. That could be a long wait.

That only leaves you with the decision about whether waiting for another two months for Leopard (and save some money), as I don't think many people are expecting Apple to introduce it before the end of October.
Plus the new iMac was just released last month, I don't see an update until at least November

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
You have two options.

1st.
Buy it now, with Tiger. Upgrade to Leopard later for 130 dollars.

2nd.
Wait until end of October, purchase iMac bundled with Leopard, save 130 dollars.

Apple usually offers upgrade protection for the OS (ie. you get the new one for the cost of shipping) for -- I think, but check for yourself -- 60 days. So if Apple keeps to its shipping schedule, we should be within the time that you'd get a free upgrade now.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I am thinking about getting another computer for the living room, since it is the living room I think the new iMac is simply good and gorgeus for this.

It has iLife 08 and 10.4, but not 10.5 Should I Just wait until January or even after Mac World 2008 before getting one? Of course, as a fan my fingers and wallet tingle to get the latest of the latest, but .. perhaps I should just wait? That way I don't buy it and then upgrade to 10.5 and miss out new hardware later?

I can't ever choose!

wait till leopard, then get the imac as it is, they just did a COMPLETE MAKEOVER to the imacs last month, so just wait for leopard, and you'll be good, maybe they'll do changes around the time of leopards release, so wait a 2 weeks or so after leopard comes out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.