Wait for 10.5 to be out before getting new iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Floris, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. Floris macrumors 68000

    Floris

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2007
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #1
    I am thinking about getting another computer for the living room, since it is the living room I think the new iMac is simply good and gorgeus for this.

    It has iLife 08 and 10.4, but not 10.5 Should I Just wait until January or even after Mac World 2008 before getting one? Of course, as a fan my fingers and wallet tingle to get the latest of the latest, but .. perhaps I should just wait? That way I don't buy it and then upgrade to 10.5 and miss out new hardware later?

    I can't ever choose!
     
  2. Craiger macrumors 6502a

    Craiger

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    #2
    Buy it now, or when Leopard comes out. Anything past that is just playing the usual Apple waiting game. There won't be any substantial upgrade for a while anyway.
     
  3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #3
    You have two options.

    1st.
    Buy it now, with Tiger. Upgrade to Leopard later for 130 dollars.

    2nd.
    Wait until end of October, purchase iMac bundled with Leopard, save 130 dollars.
     
  4. theBB macrumors 68020

    theBB

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    #4
    When is Intel making its new chips available? I don't think there will be new iMacs before then. It may also take a few months after the new chips come out. That could be a long wait.

    That only leaves you with the decision about whether waiting for another two months for Leopard (and save some money), as I don't think many people are expecting Apple to introduce it before the end of October.
     
  5. dirtleg macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2006
    Location:
    St. Louis
    #5
    If you are needing to upgrade or just want the new hardware, do it.

    We just upgraded to a new iMac and love it. Tiger is very slick and the iMac is terrific. We will probably upgrade to Leopard when it comes out, but we really needed the upgrade. We had been waiting for the iMac update for several months. I had hoped that it would coincide with the Leopard release, but I am more than happy that we did not wait another month or more. Leopard would be nice to have, but the new iMac was a MUST have for us.

    I'm just sayin'.
     
  6. torchwood04 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2007
    #6
    Plus the new iMac was just released last month, I don't see an update until at least November
     
  7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    #7
    Apple usually offers upgrade protection for the OS (ie. you get the new one for the cost of shipping) for -- I think, but check for yourself -- 60 days. So if Apple keeps to its shipping schedule, we should be within the time that you'd get a free upgrade now.
     
  8. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

    bluedoggiant

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    Location:
    MD & ATL,GA
    #8
    wait till leopard, then get the imac as it is, they just did a COMPLETE MAKEOVER to the imacs last month, so just wait for leopard, and you'll be good, maybe they'll do changes around the time of leopards release, so wait a 2 weeks or so after leopard comes out
     

Share This Page