Wait for 17" or go for 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shamash, Jan 6, 2009.

  1. shamash macrumors 6502a

    shamash

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2008
    Location:
    Taichung, Taiwan
    #1
    The only real feature on the 17" that I like a lot is the new battery. I don't care about removal batteries and the longer lasting one seems really nice. I don't mind the screen being 2" bigger or smaller as I'm on a 13" blackbook right now.

    I just need forumer help deciding what to do. If I buy the student developer for the new 17" it would be 2338 with the student developer program, or I could go into a store today and get at 15" for 2299 i believe it is.

    also the matte/glossy doesnt bother me, i'm pretty sure i have glossy on my macbook.

    basically - do you think this battery / 2" is worth it? it wont be much more if i do student developer, but 3-4 weeks shipping is going to drive me insane.
     
  2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

    hogfaninga

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
    #2

    I think the student dev price for the new 17'' would be less than that. Typically it is 20% off. That would make it $2239 for the 17". I got the new 2.53 MBP for $1999 USD using the student dev discount.
     
  3. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

    shamash

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2008
    Location:
    Taichung, Taiwan
    #3
    I was adding on 99 dollars to become a student developer.
     
  4. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #4
    If I had access to those prices I'd be all over the 17"er & just wait it out.
    The main difference for me is real estate on the screen, on the 15" you get 1440x900 pixels, on the 17" screen you get 1920x1200.

    I think your blackbook has a 1280x800 screen so you could see how the 17"er will be quite the upgrade screen-wise.
     
  5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

    hogfaninga

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
    #5
    It still would be only $2099 for the top of the line 15" 2.53 Pro.
     
  6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #6
    For those prices I would buy the 17", unless you feel that its too large.
     
  7. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

    shamash

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2008
    Location:
    Taichung, Taiwan
    #7
    Yeah, but the 1440x900 would also be an upgrade.

    I don't know, my mom has a 24" iMac that I've been using when home from college, and it's kind of overwhelming compared to the blackbook I got a couple years ago for school.

    Also, I imagine lugging a 17" computer from class to class will be hard.
     
  8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    #9
    You definitely don't want to be hauling the 17" from class to class. I have the 15" and it's a fairly noticeable amount of weight (at least as much as a big textbook) and in it's sleeve, it barely fits in my backpack.
     
  9. akbc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    #10
    I carry my MBPro to classes everyday, it isn't that hard to do.. But I think 17" is just overkilling it. It'd be a pain in the ass to go anywhere with that beast :) lol
     
  10. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

    shamash

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2008
    Location:
    Taichung, Taiwan
    #11
    So go for the 15.4"? I can just get it today, then.
     
  11. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

    Stangs55

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    Location:
    The Lone Star State
    #12
    As a student, how do I get into the "student developer program" and wtf is it?
     

Share This Page