Wait for 2015 MBP 15 refresh or buy now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wope, Mar 16, 2015.

  1. wope macrumors member

    Jun 22, 2010
    Ever since last week's event, I've had the itch to buy a new 15 MBP (decided Macbook / MBP 13 are just too small for me - I don't need portability). However, it almost feels wrong to spend so much on a new laptop that is basically 2 years old (technologically).

    I guess what I'm asking is... will the (expected) upgrades to the 2015 MBP15 be worth waiting a few months, or will they be similar to the 2013 > 14 changes? I don't necessary NEED to upgrade right now. I also don't need any additional power that the 2015s will likely offer - I use the laptop for daily browsing, watching movies, occasional light gaming (D3/SC2)... but at the same time, it probably makes sense to wait and get something that is more future-proof. Ahhh... I can easily convince myself either way.
  2. Raunien macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2011
    If you need a laptop right now, then buy the current gen.

    If you want the new force-touch trackpad, then wait for the next gen.

    The power difference between the two is not going to make a difference for what you do.
  3. wope thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 22, 2010
    I have absolutely 0 interest in the force-touch. The only potential hardware changes that I can think of that make me want to wait would be (1) faster SSD and (2) integrated graphics (Iris Pro 5200 in 2013/14 and probably 6200 in 2015?).
  4. Raunien macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2011
    Then wait for the new one, if you don't need the machine now.
  5. wope thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 22, 2010
  6. bgro macrumors 65816

    Jul 6, 2010
    South Florida
    I'm in the market for a laptop too and the biggest thing swaing me toward the 15" right now is the price. The base is on sale at best buy for $1800 less 10% movers coupon = ~1620 + tax. That's $40 more than the 2015 13" configuration I want will cost me. Thoughts on this? Portability isn't really an issue for me, 90% of my usage will be at home.


    Just curious but how is the tech on the current 15" 2 years old. Weren't they updated last year?
  7. Woochoo macrumors 6502

    Oct 12, 2014
    Well, new MBP has almost twice of the speed (SSD) of the 2014 version, so it's quite interesting. Appart from that, 20-30% of better graphics so it's worth the wait till june.

    Updated doesn't mean new hardware, it was a 0,2GHz CPU bump but still same CPU architecture from 2013. So yeah, maybe no real difference in CPU-RAM performance vs the new ones, but still 2013 technology (which devaluates it if you want to re-sell).
  8. nirvanemesis macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2014
    That's a good deal, considering I got my base 2014 15" model at $1700 at Apple's refurbished site (it's out of stock now though iirc). The tech is technically 2 years old (Haswell is 2013), but last year's base model got upped to 16 GB RAM to make up for it. Broadwell came late, so Haswell is only one generation old.
  9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Oct 19, 2011
    I'd wait. You said that you don't need a new one immediately, and you are right when you say that it doesn't make sense to pay full price for a 2 years old product.

Share This Page

8 March 16, 2015