Wait for 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JLN, Feb 26, 2008.

  1. JLN macrumors newbie

    JLN

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Austin TX
    #1
    I'm thinking of possibly snagging the 4GB iPhone soon however I do realize that the 3G is due sometime this year. How long should I wait and do you guys have a better estimate on the 'update'? Thanks.
     
  2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

    MacGeek7

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    #2
    I would say wait for 3G...by then not only will the SDK be out and apps will be available but there is also a chance that they will upgrade the flash size and drop the price. The rumored date that I keep hearing is May...I'm not sure if that's the announcement date or release.
     
  3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

    t0mat0

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Home
    #3
    There are several threads on it, the one below I started off to get accurate information as to the most probable date, through information and less through rumour.

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438408

    Best guess so far - An announcement around the iPhone's 1st birthday ~June is the most likely, but theres leeway either side by several months due to different factors...

    Enjoy. If you need one now, get one now. If you can wait 4-8 months, wait. There aren't any confirmed differences bar 3G on the upcoming model yet, so unless 3G is a priority, a current one will do. When and before the 3G model comes out, there will be price cuts.
     
  4. JLN thread starter macrumors newbie

    JLN

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Austin TX
    #4
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm sure I can hold off for another extra months (esp while owning a laptop): nice to have extra input on the idea.
     
  5. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #5
    I thought I could wait for the 3G model but I finally caved on Monday :p
    Picked up the 16GB iPhone right after work.

    No regrets at all. I love this thing! The truth is, nobody knows for sure when the 3G model comes out. When it does, I'm sure I will pick it up too!
     
  6. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2004
    Location:
    London, UK
    #6
    I would skip the 3G model altogether, and wait for 4G. That has to be announced sooner or later.
     
  7. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2004
    Location:
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    #7
    if you keep waitin around...u will never have it..

    u CANNOT keep up with technology....

    too pricey...!!
     
  8. mediumofmeaning macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    Location:
    NJ
    #8
    buy the 4GB iphone, and just scratch off the "B." You'll have a phone 2 generations ahead of the rest of us.

    Disclaimer: scratching off the B may or may not actually increase wireless speed.
     
  9. jellomizer macrumors 6502

    jellomizer

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    #9
    Exactly you will stress yourself out playing when will the next version be released game.... And will it support what you expect. Espectially with Apple it will be increasingly stressful because they will not release any information of detail, until the last minute. And by the time it is released you will see a new or better technology in the pipline for the future. But the iPhone current rev should be supported quite well for a while if the iPhone follows Apples previous upgrade methods.
     

Share This Page