Wait for 7200 500gb or get 320+external?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lamerica80, Apr 23, 2009.

1. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Im not sure i cant wait any longer for the 7200 500gb drives to be ava.
    Im considering getting a mini and upgrading to a 320gb 7200 drive, and then getting a 500gb external drive for downloading HD movies, tv-shows, etc.

I would then keep the mini "lean and mean" for OSX, fotos, home video editing, etc. The external would be constantly attached to the mini, not sure how i feel about that though (from a estetic viewpoint)

Is this a good way to go or should i just wait a bit longer?

What external drive would you recommend?

2. beatmonkeytwo macrumors regular

This is what I have done, only my external is 320GB. I'm trying to keep my mini pretty clean with not to much clutter. All the mess goes on the external. Works great for me :D The new 320GB internal drive makes a big difference, just make sure you do it correctly as my os had a problem, and a had to erase and install to sort out the issue

3. lamerica80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Ok! What kind of external do you use, firewire or usb2? Im worried about dropped frames playing 720p rips from the external..

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Playback through USB2 is not a problem. After all, many Blu-ray drives connect by USB2, so it's pretty much a non-issue in your case. The biggest bottleneck of USB2 is for writing, so I don't think you have much to worry about.