Wait for a 13" MacBook Pro matte screen option

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fuchstronaut, Jun 20, 2010.

1. fuchstronaut macrumors newbie

Hi there,

i know theres alot to read about the matte-and-glossy discussion on the web, but the bottomline is always the same:

- anti-glare screen protectors is something you should not use
    - theres no option for the 13", go buy a 15" MBP if you want matte screen

I've been in a store (several times) and I'm working on an iMac 21.5" and I am sure now, i can't live with the glossy screen.
    I'm programming, so I have to read all that tiny symbols on my screen without suffering from a headache and I defently will with the glossy screen.
    On the other hand I need a 13" Notebook because I will use it on seminars and stuff.

Right now I have a Sony Notebook which is nice, but not a Mac and after 6 months working on an iMac I don't want to miss all the nice features and gimmicks Windows 7 doesn't have, even if it got improved a lot, it is no OS X ;-)

Do you guys think, that there is a chance that Apple will present a matte screen option for the MacBook Pro 13" or the MacBook?

I was not able to find out why exactly Apple is not selling the MBP 13" with a matte screen, since there are a lot of potential customers that won't buy a glossy MBP.
    Is there a technical reason or something?

f you could tell me that reason I could stop hoping and waiting and just go for another winbased Notebook I don't really want but need.

Thanks for your patience reading my english,

regards,
    fuchstronaut

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Honestly if they haven't done it by now they probably never will.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think it has been a marketing trick. Not that long time ago, only 17" had matte option. Then, they added it to the 15". Now, it's only available with hi res screen (again, more money for Apple). It has nothing to do with technology, Apple could offer it but currently they don't want to because people have to get 15" which costs more

4. Shaman Beloved macrumors newbie

This is the reason they don't offer it. It's called upselling. Damn Apple. I would've been all over a matte screen 13", but had to pay for the 15". Well, I guess that 700 euros got me an i5 too... yay.

5. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

The lack of a matte screen option on either the 13 inch MBP, or even on the upscale MBA, frustrates me no end. I hate reflective screens of any type, as do many others. I bought my first HDTV for my home theater in 2003. It had a glossy, and therefore highly reflective, screen which I soon learned was not a good thing. My iPad, which I like in most ways, also has a reflective screen. This makes it almost impossible to avoid annoying reflections without turning off most of the lights. I recognize that a glossy display probably provides slightly more "snap" to the picture than a matte screen does but a glossy screen still gives away more than it gives back, it seems to me. Color me frustrated.

6. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I doubt it'll ever happen, and if it ever does it'll be a while from now since the mbp's were just updated. I don't really mind a glossy screen... in fact I prefer them, but if you can't stand it fall into apple's marketing scheme and get a 15 inch.

7. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Seriously I was about to start a thread like this. The 15 in is overkill. I think I'll just buy a cheap last gen MacBook and go from there. At least I can save money and hope that they can get their act together and deign somethings that doesn't give me headaches.

And for anyone pondering using a antiglare screen, I found they wash out the screen.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I always never understood this as to why people say that the glossy has more "pop" as to the matte displays.

I think especially with the led backlit technology, the matte displays these days are so much more colorful and detailed as the glossy screens.

I like my 13" macbook pro but sometimes I really hate the glossy screen. It took me about 3 weeks to get used to it now and at times I'm still not 100% used to it as I still think it looks less detailed in showing pictures and has a less pop as to a matte display. For some reason led + matte display produces real life paper like displays that looks very vivid and actually in most cases brighter than glossy displays too.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Their marketing scheme seems to work because you paid the extra and went for 15" :D It indeed sucks. Before, glossy was BTO, now it's vice versa. What's next? Whole display to be BTO? :p

10. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

this will be my ideal MBP 13 hopefully they also offer discrete graphics too.

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wish apple would offer the AG, Dedicated graphics, hi-res, no optical drive 13", because I have quickly tired of the constant threads complaining about the lack of this. As for me, I will keep my standard res, glossy, superdrive, IGP MacBook. That is simply because I don't game enough to require any sort of good graphics, I can deal with 1280x800 and have a monitor to go with it, and I actually use cds and dvds, the AG is debateable. It would be nice not to deal with reflections and such, but I don't typically use my computer in a place that that is an issue, plus I don't like the silver bezel with the black rubber around it.

12. darrellishere macrumors 6502

I wish all of the design team would read macrumors because we seem to be the best critiques of their work and they should take note! We have all their products and are far more critical than their mass market. But inevitably give honest user experience that's harsh but follows through to the rest of the purchasers of apple products.

I think the milled aluminium and glass combo has gone too far and even fastly surpassed it's appeal and userbility! The main example being the iPad. In no way should this product have an aluminium back! It limits wifi reception, adds too much weight in combination with the glass. It's like holding a tablet computer that's being incased in a window and half a car!
    Now the glass, hang on typing on my iPad here, but am I focusing on the keyboard or the entire mirror image of the world around me. No wonder we get eye strain. It's design over userbility gone mad! Mr Ives will you be remembered only for the iPod, what will design tutors of the future say about your glossy heavy products? Really a step back in userbility, design over form and function. I don't know but You get my point! Now is the time to innovate in those directions, lightness, supper thin light, antiglare glass like the iPhone 4s. Boy I only just got this iPad and already it feels like an outdated model. Old tech , no gyroscope, limited ram, no face time, no supper thin stainless steel and supper thin glass :(

13. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

the 13" has always had a crappier lcd compared to the 15'.
    doubt there will ever be a hi res or matte option

14. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I agree that the difference, if any, between a glossy display's "pop," compared to that of one with a matte finish, is small indeed. I mentioned the possibility that it might be true only to avoid offending those who have glossy displays. As I stated in my earlier post, based on 7 years of experience with them, I cordially dislike glossy displays and have found antireflective displays to be significantly more satisfactory. That's why the lack of a matte option on either the 13 inch MBP or the MBA frustrates me.

15. Reapur macrumors regular

The matte option will never come to the 13 inch MBP. The 13 machine is not a "pro" level computer, and everyone knows the addition of pro to the name was pure marketing. The screen resolution is nowhere near high enough for anyone using the machine professionally to edit images in photoshop which is the only reason the matte option is even there. the 15 inch MBP has AG and HR which is ideal for photography work.

16. myke323 macrumors regular

I'm so pissed that they don't offer AG on the 1440x900 15" MBP.

Seriously, that sucks!!

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13" has never had matte (not sure did iBook have) so it's unlikely but who knows? Apple has surprised us multiple times in the past (and also made mad), so maybe one day 13" gets it.

18. Reapur macrumors regular

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I prefer glossy anyway... It's not impossible but it doesn't seem to be likely :(

20. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Apple should just give us the option to soup up our machines. Back in the day, machines had many more configurations.

I take issue with their being 2 13" MBP models and 3 15" MBP models and between them there are hardly any serious differences and what differences there are are not worth the prices asked. Just give us the up sell option to those with more niche needs. Add the anti-glare to the lower end MBP and offer an express card slot configuration to the top end 15" MBP.

So simple and while I know it costs Apple more to offer these flavoured configurations, there are two arguments for it. First Apple has a ton of money and second, we're paying more for it anyway so where's the beef?

21. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Would like to see an AG 13" just to keep these threads off of MR. Hopefully Apple will offer it at a big price premium.............. just to piss-off the AG fans. :p

22. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

The "Pro" designation is a marketing term and applies to every Apple computer that carries the Pro designation. As such, the term has no formal meaning. Thus, it seems to me that which, if any, models in the Macbook Pro lineup are, or are not, "'pro' level computers" is up to each of us to decide. Apple, however, thinks highly enough of the 13 inch MBP that it gives it exactly the same designation, "Macbook Pro," that it gives the 15 and 17 inch models. Make of that what you will.

23. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I seriously doubt it would ever happen. Apple made a clear decision to switch to glossy, and doesn't expect many users to chose the anti-glare option where it's available.

Personally, I don't see why there are so many complaints. I have a 13 MBP and sometimes use my parents new iMac, glare has never been a problem for me. I admit you do notice it, but for me it seems the brightness of the screen eliminates most reflections. Just avoid having your computer set up with it's screen facing a window

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

This post is exactly why Apple hopefully doesn't and shouldn't be reading rumor sites like MR. Critical you say? I think your post is more nitpicky as many others here. It will never be enough for most of the geeks here. No matter how many concerns Apple addresses there's always a long list of "what could be improved" and that would drive any company crazy.

What's wrong with the milled aluminum? I don't have a problem with it, does that mean that you're alone? Probably not, but it also doesn't mean that the masses think like you do. There's no proof that the aluminum backing on the iPad is reducing wi-fi reception, unlike the plastic Macbook there's no plastic version of the iPad to prove that reception is worse with the aluminum.
    You bought the iPad knowing exactly what it was in terms of the glass so if it's currently a problem buy one of HP's tablets.

I do agree with you, Apple is obsessed with the glossy stuff and lots of glass but there are a lot of benefits to it but your close-mindedness is the reason why Apple shouldn't be reading MR.

Nearly every company designs with form over function in mind. Point to one tech company that doesn't. Clothing manufacturers are the worse when it comes to this.

25. fuchstronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

So my chances for a handy 13" MacBook with a matte screen are close to 0%, eh?

There are companys ripping out the glossy screen and installing a matte screen instead.
    But I wasn't able to find something like this for 13" MBP. Is there a service like this for 13"?

What do you think in general about that procedger? Any knowledge about the screen quality?
    Is there something in the european union? Shipping my MBP to the US and back just to pay 200$ for ripping out a screen would be overkill I guess...

:mad::apple: