Wait for a fullscreen video iPod or go for current gen video?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by robollama, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. robollama macrumors newbie

    Feb 27, 2007
    Well, I've somehow lost my twice replaced B/W 20GB 4th Gen iPod around Christmas. I've been waiting out on buying the current video iPod, since my last iPod I purchased became obsolete within 2 months.. Now that I haven't have anything to listen to for over 2 months now it's getting hard to wait x.x Should I keep waiting for a new full screen video iPod or just go with the one out now?
  2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816


    Sep 27, 2006
    I personally don't think that Apple would release a full-screen iPod to compete with the iPhone until late 2007. If you can wait that long (which I certaintly couldn't), then wait. Maybe you could buy a refurb 30GB video now, and then sell that and buy the full-screen iPod when it comes out.
  3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816


    Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    If video is important to you, I would for sure wait. I'd buy a Nano or a Shuffle in the meantime to hold you over. The current iPod has only seen one minor update in the last 1.5 years. It can't be much longer.
  4. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular


    Oct 26, 2004
    I agree completely. You have to consider how important video or a big display is. I have the video iPod, but recently got the 8GB nano because I never watch video, and love the light, small form factor for running or slipping into my pocket as I head out the door.

    If you must have a portable video player, or are addicted to Coverflow (might make an appearance on a true video iPod) then wait. I'm thinking we'll see some sort of an updated form factor by July or August at the latest.
  5. robollama thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 27, 2007
    Hmm.. I have been waiting since like.. 6 months ago for a new iPod to come out.. But my old ones gone now.. I hadn't planned on that.. Hmm... Decisions decisions..
  6. copperhead macrumors member

    Feb 24, 2007
    i say get the video now, keep it from getting scratches etc., and then sell it on ebay as soon as the new ipod comes out. then it'd be like maybe $100 loss but you got to use an ipod for like 8 months.
  7. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

    Jan 29, 2006
    Fullscreen as opposed to the current halfscreen?

  8. copperhead macrumors member

    Feb 24, 2007
    yeah, thats what he's talking about
  9. Multimedia macrumors 603


    Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    Wait For The Widescreen iPod If You Can Survive With A $59 Refurb Shuffle

    How about a $59 refurbed shuffle for now? I'm waiting for the 640x360 wide Video iPod - hoping it ships by Summer. But i have the 60GB Video iPod already so it's easier for me to wait. I doubt the iPhone is competition for this as it will only store 8GB max and the display is not widescreen 640x360.
  10. tris01 macrumors newbie

    Jan 18, 2007
    York uk
    I can't see apple bringing out a new iPod until around christmas so i say take the plunge now and hope for the best :confused:
  11. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

    Dec 1, 2003
    iPod is way overdue for major changes. Don't be too sure about when the updates with be.
  12. GraceMolloy macrumors regular


    Oct 28, 2006
    I'm in this category as well. I don't so much want an iPhone as a 100Gb Widescreen Video iPod. And I think Apple knows that they are 2 fairly different markets, competition wise.

    But I am thinking about a Nano in the interim, it would be really nice to have at the gym. I just wish they'd put an FM receiver in the dang thing already, as there's NO way I'm payin' another 40-50 bucks for that stupid adapter. The form factor SCREAMS for an FM receiver.

    On top of the fact that my 40 Gig 3rd gen is getting old and cantankerous. Not to mention the crappy battery life lately.

    So I'm kinda stuck in a rut, But I'm definitely not going to buy a full size any time soon.
  13. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a


    Jul 26, 2006
    Traveling The World

    I'm close to the point that I need a new iPod. My current Red iPod Nano is full and there's another 100 songs not added. Plus I've got 9 movies, 49 tv shows on iTunes.

    I lost my iPod video is September and put off getting a new one at Christmas as i thought a new 'true video ipod' would be released in January.

    :eek: I don't know what to do! Should I wait? or buy now? I can get a Black 80g for £180 (apple sells for £259). HELP

Share This Page