Wait for a MBP or pick up a BlackBook now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LaMerVipere, Jun 25, 2007.

  1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

    LaMerVipere

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago
    #1
    You know, I really should have been paying attention to all this delay news. Shame on me. I was all set to mosey on down to the Apple Store and pick up a MacBook Pro today only to discover....every single Chicago area Apple Store is out of stock. And none of them have any clue when new MBP's will arrive. They all just told me to keep calling back everyday and see.

    Now I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I'm ridiculously impatient. I really wanted something in my hands tonight. Should I just rough it and go with a fully loaded BlackBook instead? I was only going to get the $1999 (2.2) MacBook Pro anyway. I did kind of have my heart set on it...but maybe I'd be just as happy with a BlackBook.

    The most processor intensive thing I do is Photoshop, which I am in and out of all day, everyday. I don't really need it to be portable since I rarely take my laptop out of the house. That integrated graphics scares me a bit though.

    Anyways guys, now for that classic question: What would you do were you in my position?
     
  2. iToaster macrumors 68000

    iToaster

    Joined:
    May 3, 2007
    Location:
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    #2
    I would absolutely wait if I were you. The MBP is better than the MB, and is definitely worth the wait. With the MBP, you can have more RAM, you have a dedicated GPU (why I'm getting a MBP), backlit keyboard, larger screen, sleeker design, better speakers, slightly faster processor, etc. Wait for the MBP, it'll be worth it.
     
  3. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2005
    #3
    Kinda puts you between a rock and a hard place.

    I'd really evaluate what I wanted. Me, I'd wait for the MBP. I don't necessarily need the extra power, but I'm kind of an elitist when it comes to my computers...

    You did say:

    hinting at you know what you want. Thus, just wait..

    But, if the wait will truly kill you...maybe get blackbook ...

    or

    compromise...check daily and if the end of the week is here (or some other time) and still no MBP, get the blackbook...

    just my two cents...
     
  4. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    #4
    Although I can be impatient about such things, I think patience would be a virtue here as you did have your heart set on the MBP.

    When it comes to PS, the MBP is certainly faster but not massively (e.g. see http://www.barefeats.com/rosa02.html).

    The GMA 950 is much maligned, but does its job nicely; even unsupported apps like Motion are usable. If you'll be doing GPU-intensive stuff, you should go the MBP.

    From what you've said, i think you'll be ok with the MB, but I would go for the MBP... no chance of thinking 'what might have been' with the latter.

    RAM - 3.3GB as opposed to 4GB.
    Dedicated GPU - a must if you're going to be doing GPU-intensive stuff, but as the OP's most intensive usage is going to be PS, this really doesn't enter here.
    Backlit keyboard, better speakers - nice, admittedly.
    Bigger screen - definite bonus, but as the OP is going to largely use it at home, he may be well using an external monitor whichever machine he goes for.
     
  5. arielled01 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    #5
    Have you considered buying a MacBook Pro from the Apple store online? Or is that not an option for you?
     
  6. starlabs macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    #6
    Just wait, my friend. I'm looking to buy one now as well but the web retailer I'm looking at (MacConnection) will probably not have it in stock for quite some time. But I'll be patient.

    Consider this - if you get a black MacBook, come one to two months down the line when the MBP becomes plentiful - you'll probably be regretting your MacBook purchase ("why didn't I just wait?").

    The supply issue will be fixed - eventually.
     
  7. polevault139 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #7
    No doubt you should get a MB. The MPB is overkill for you and for most of the people who think they need one. The MB is a great machine and will run Photoshop just as good as any MBP. Since you said you won't be taking it out the house that often and you don't need it to be a powerhouse, the MB is really the only choice. Save some of the money that you would have wasted and spend it on something practical rather than false assurance.
     
  8. arielled01 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
  9. polevault139 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #9
    or not waste your money for features that you dont't need and get a MB.
     
  10. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

    Carl Spackler

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Outer Space
    #10
    The Devil's Advocate would say, You won't be just as happy, though I have no doubt it'll be good enough. You'll always wonder what you're missing.

    I've used both the latest 2.16 MB with 2 gigs of RAM and the 2.4 MBP with 2 gigs of RAM. Though I didn't have to render a huge amount of data, the MBP did seem a little snappier, but not so much I'd steer you away from the Macbook. Just think, with the $500 you'll save, you're only a $100 off from walking out with a 20" ACD under one arm and the MBP under the other.

    Don't forget that the MBP gives you firewire 800 and the ExpressCard/34 slot, which you may find handy.

    If you really don't think you'll need them, I'd be tempted to go with the ACD and MB combo.
     
  11. LaMerVipere thread starter macrumors 6502a

    LaMerVipere

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago
    #11
    Thanks everyone for responding. A couple other thoughts:

    • Larger HD with the MB than MBP
    • Latest SR MBP seems to be having a bunch of QC issues but the MB doesn't
     
  12. wgkealey macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #12
    Wait, wait, wait. I think I'm pretty impatient as well, and I've been without a computer since Thanksgiving.
     
  13. LaMerVipere thread starter macrumors 6502a

    LaMerVipere

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago
    #13
    Okay, well the conventional wisdom here turned out to be correct. I picked up a MacBook (black) at the Apple Store and ended up taking it back and ordering a MacBook Pro about two minutes ago. :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page