Wait for an update?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LCS/drummer, Jul 23, 2009.

?

Wait for it, or Go get one?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2009.
  1. Buy it now

73.1%
  2. Wait to buy it

26.9%
  1. LCS/drummer macrumors newbie

So I have been eyeing the Mac Pro for quite some time, and i have the money now for a nice octo core setup, Part of the reason I find the Mac pro a good piece of equipment is because it should last years to come.

Well, I know they were just updated a tid bit after macworld and Im wondering if anyone thinks there might be some other updates coming soon.

something bigger than minor spec updates or price drops. i mean something...really worth waiting up to another 6 months?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'll be waiting until late in the first half of 2010.

No "minor updates" are ever expected and no price drops have ever happened.

3. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

you never know when apple is going to update, but I highly doubt they are updating in the next 6 months....btw, this probably belongs in the "buying tips" forum

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unfortunately, it won't update until 2010 as Tallest Skil indicated, going by history. Nor will it become any cheaper either. :rolleyes: :(

So if you need the machine now, go for it. :) BTW, you may want to look for an '08 model (used, refurb, or left-over stock), unless there's something rather specific the '09 will do better for your specific needs. This could be a means of saving on the initial cost, and 3rd party upgrades are inexpensive these days as well, even the FB-DIMM that model uses.

Just a thought. :)

5. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

The MP just got a major update so the next one won't be much more than a speedbump and the addition of a 3.2ghz octo option (maybe quad too).

6. Bartman01 macrumors regular

Following that logic: I've never died, therefore it must be logical to conclude that I never will.

To the OP: If you have the money now, and can get a machine that meets your needs at a price you feel is fair then go ahead and buy. There is no way to predict what Apple will do next, and there is always a 'new and better' version coming. It is always better to wait if you don't need the machine now, but if you need a machine and want to wait for the next best thing you will always be waiting.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I understand the point you wanted to make. ;)

But this is business, not pure science. Despite the fact they try to model markets, etc., there's something included that skews the results; emotion. Specifically, GREED. Which has a habit of throwing things out of whack. :p

In such a poor economy, you'd think they'd reconsider, and apparently have on the laptops. But so far, not on the MP. Ultimately, history is the only real indicator we have, and is still holding true for the MP lineup. ;)

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Seeing how Apple has done price drops on the laptop line (by offering a lower model), it's not impossible that they may try this approach on the upcoming Mac Pro refresh (around Q1 2010).

OP, buy now unless you can wait. This rule applies to ALL purchases of computers.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Keep in mind though, the sales quantity per unit time isn't the same. Laptops are out selling the MP's, so that reduces the potential for a price drop, unless there's a significant reduction in component costs, labor,... (something they could choose to pass on to the consumer). Somehow, I doubt this, as we're dealing with Intel and Apple afterall... :p

Apple is known for high margins, and Intel won't be willing to reduce prices if they don't have to. With AMD's current state, they're less willing to reduce the costs, as the competition is reduced... to none. :eek: :D It's a formula ripe for complacency, just as it was when the P4 was released (deja vu anyone?). High prices are more likely to accompany this fact, despite the economy (still higher than they would be if there was any real competition). Intel worked hard to get to this point, and they'll want to reap the rewards...Larger Profits. :p

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Normally, with a die-shrink, as we will see with Westmere going to 32nm from Nehalems 45nm, you would see a proportional price drop. However, there are three factors working against this...

1. There's little to no competition coming from AMD as Nano suggests.
    2. The economy is in the tank and the demand for super high-end server CPU's is dismal, meaning the few that do sell, need to be at a significant margin to justify their existance
    3. Gulftown is not just a die-shrink, but its also adding significant new computing horsepower in terms of 2 extra cores per die and added L3 cache. This is enough to justify maintaining high prices based on the added value despite a reduction in manufacturing costs due to the smaller process.

Thus, I'm not expecting a significant price drop with the 2010 Mac Pro.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

This reminds me of MIPs processor based machines... Clusters gained popularity for low cost, and they've basically dissapeared. SGI's offerings really suffered over this one. But the cluster isn't the end-all of power solutions. So those areas they don't perform well for, are up a creek now. :eek: :(

It's come around full circle in a sense. Greed/cheapness for low cost systems has created a situation of few technological advancements, because it killed the market that primarily funded them. :mad:
    They'll use the fab cost (facility construction/retooling) to justify the prices remaining high. ;)

12. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

I have just read this article. Is there any chance of the above on the Mac Pro front?

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

No, as it refers to models other than Mac Pros. :( They are an exception to updates/price drops between model releases.

14. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

Apple already upgraded the Mac Pro. The Quad now supports 16 Gb RAM :D

I'm surprised they didn't organise a special media event to announce it.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

:eek: They finally found a cheap source of 4GB UDIMM's. :rolleyes: I'm so underwhelmed. :p

16. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Your on your own here, mate. Most observes think that Apple will go for the Gulftown sixers, as Virtual Rain has posted.