Wait for 'Back To School' promotion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snowleopard13, Apr 14, 2010.

1. snowleopard13 macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

Now, that the new MBP's have arrived I'm ready to replace my 2006 Vaio 1,66 GHz Core Duo with a MBP 13" Base Model. I think that will be a nice upgrade - certainly has to last also 4 years.

I'm just wondering if I should wait for a BTS promotion like last year (Buy a Mac, get a iPod Touch free). Talked to Apple on the phone, but they typically know nothing about such a promotion coming up. I would byte my a$$ off, if i buy now and on 28th may (this was the start date in 2009) this promotion is up... same the other way round - if i waited for nothing :-/

What do you think, BTS promo coming? iPod Touch 3rd gen inventory cleaning for new iPod in September? Or sales on the Touch so good in 2010 because of alle the apps that no inventory cleaning is needed?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's a fairly safe bet that they'll run it again.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

BTS should start fairly soon based on previous years. If you can wait then wait. No biggie.

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I plan on waiting, it's only about 6 weeks away. It most likely is happening. Hopefully the 21" iMacs get an upgrade by then :D

5. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I love the BTS, Sell the ipod and the PRINTER (Don't forget) and that's $300+ knocked off the sale price. If you do it right you can upgrade your computer every year, for no cost, or even profit. 1100-300 is 800, I'm sure the 13" MBPs sell right now for more than 800 dollars lol. Think about it.

The only downside is you need the extra 300 upfront, I hate their Mail in rebates. Smooth but annoying.

I'd wait a little bit more, you're already so close. The only difference with the BTS sale is that you get an ipod. You can still get a student discount on apple.com right now, and a free printer.

If I were you I'd buy the $130 printer, last year it was wireless, this year if it changed, well, hopefully less people will buy that one )who wants to spend more than they have to).

That means that there will be less $130 printers on ebay, and more crappy $100 ones. Better for you since everyone and their mom won't be trying to sell theirs for $5 less than the 'other guy'.

I think next time I'm just going to buy a laser printer and sell my two wireless printers that I have now. Ink jets are annoying.

6. snowleopard13 thread starter macrumors regular

thank your for your replies. i think i'm gonna give 'the waiting' a try.
    it's hard because i also waited for the MBP update, but it will pay off if there's a 2010 BTS promo.

@the printer: here it's more like 99,90€ for the cheapest printer and you get 80€ back. you can get this one everywhere new for 79€, so i have to think about buying one and resell it. not sure, if people are still buying inkjet printers.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Back to School promotion is to help EDU sales. I don't think its main purpose was iPod inventory cleaning, given that it went on well before the iPod touch's traditional fall update.

8. snowleopard13 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe not it's main purpose, but at least a nice side-effect so close before the new ones arrive :)

BTS in 2009 was until 8th of September and release date of the new iPods was the 9th of September. So if it's only purpose was to help EDU sales, why not continuing till idk October?

9. Coldmode macrumors regular

Wait for the promotion. If you don't need the iPod you can sell it and basically get $150 off.

10. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Is it safe to assume that the BTS promotion will only be for college students, and High school students won't be able to get the discount again?

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yep, that's probably how it'll be again.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Agreed. There is zero evidence for promotions for high school students.

13. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I was looking at schools in my area(mine is not listed), but under each mac it said students save $100. Is this just a typo? Or would I actually be able to get the discount?

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you...
    a) A graduating high school senior entering college in the Fall of 2010
    b) A staff or faculty member of a higher education institution
    c) An employee of a K-12 institution
    d) The parent of a college student?

??

If you are any of the above you'll qualify if the Terms and Conditions are the same as they have been for the past few years.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Screenshot?

16. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Nope, will be a senior next year...:eek:

Attached Files:

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't qualify then. Have any family members or family friends in education?

18. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

By "students," Apple means "students*," with the asterisk meaning college kiddies.