Wait for Clovertown Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by YoYoMa, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    Hey. I'm interested in the Mac Pro but won't actually need it untill my future High Def camera is released around late october. Should I go ahead and order the Mac Pro later today or is it a pretty safe bet that there will be an 8 core clovertown Mac Pro released later this year?
  2. kaboutertje macrumors regular


    Jul 7, 2006
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Don't think they will announce a upgrade for the mac pro in Paris. So I would just buy one of the new mac pro's as soon as you can (get the ipod rebate), so you won't feel bad when you have to buy one in october with the same price/specs when you could 3 months before that. Let's see what they are giving us tonight huh :)
  3. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    The problem for me is that clovertown will be out before the end of the year. When I get the camera late october I won't have a problem waiting a short while afterwards to do my heavy editing as I already have an alright system at the moment. What I will have a problem with is not having an 8 core version of my really expensive computer because I didn't wait a bit longer. I guess I'm kind of answering my own question but what you just pointed out really is what causes the dilema. If I buy now not only do I get to enjoy the computer sooner and for a longer amount of time but I also get an iPod that I can sell for $150.
  4. Grimace macrumors 68040


    Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    Just because Cloverton is out doesn't mean it will be in Apple's machines.

    Typically, Apple updates PowerMacs every ~200 days. That's more than every six months. February at the EARLIEST.
  5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040


    May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    My GOD man!!! They haven't even announced the Mac Pros yet. Hold your horses and see what's unveiled...sheesh!
  6. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    I don't see why they wouldn't put it in their machines...Also, that update cycle is from the old PowerPC days. Intel Macs have been upgraded at a much faster pace.
    I understand that the Mac Pro has yet to be announced but it's pretty clear that it will use Woodcrest and since Clovertown is a drop in replacement, I think it's pretty clear that it will use that chip as well in order to keep in line with the competition and to give consumers what they want.
    If Clovertown is released by intel around october I can't see Apple waiting past Macworld to put it in their top of the line $3000 computer that is using Woodcrest. My best guess is a maximum five month wait to double the cores in my Mac Pro. Does this sound right to you guys?
  7. fenixx macrumors regular


    Mar 23, 2006
    Are you kidding me?
    P'rhaps they should make a forum, "Patience, Waiting and Discussion".

    Should I buy [X] or wait for [Y]?

    X = Current Random Mac Hardware
    Y = Unannounced updated version.

    All these threads are the same.
  8. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    Honestly, I think the guys commenting in this topic about patience are the ones with no patience and taking it out here. I'm the one stating that I will probly wait untill Clovertown. Perhaps people would respond better to this thread after Steve officially says "Woodcrest in Mac Pro." It's not a random variable just because Steve has not said the words, it's pretty obvious. But, if my question will be taken more seriously in two hours so be it.
  9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020


    Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The thing that worries me is that they didn't fire the idiot who named Merom. Clovertown? ::spits out drink laughing::
  10. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

    Jun 25, 2005
    That was the old days, when they had no processor competition. That will not fly in the Intel world. You can't run a generation behind on processors (whether it's number of cores or whatever) because YOU MUST FOLLOW THE SCHEDULE/hold a lame keynote.

    Likewise, Apple had best be offering better stock graphics cards in the Mac Pro. Dell and Gateway Core 2 units come standard with a $300+ retail graphics card - the x1600 Pro rumored is $100 retail. Not gonna fly.
  11. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    It seems that the best idea might be to wait to see if the Mac Pro is upgradable to the new chips, and if it is, to buy now and then sell the two xeon 2.66's to buy two Clovertown's. This way one can enjoy the Mac Pro now and take advantage of the iPod deal. How likely do you guys think that this kind of thing will be possible? I'm not 100% on the compatability of these server chips. Thanks.
  12. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    Also, does anyone know if Woodcrest is as overclockable as Conroe? If so the Mac Pro would be an even more amazing value!!

Share This Page