Wait for Core i7-640M? Gaming, i5 v. i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hailfire753, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Hailfire753 macrumors newbie

I want to buy a macbook pro during the back to school sale, which runs until 9/7/10. I also want to use the credit to buy an iPod Touch AFTER it receives an update, which usually happens 9/9/10. The credit is good 90 days after the macbook ships, and I would like to buy a Macbook as soon as possible.

However, there is the leaked intel roadmap, which shows that there will be a possible quiet update to the Macbook Pro in the Fall, with the 2.8GHz Core i7-640M.

1) Will this happen before the Back to School Sale is over, is it worth the wait?

2) Will this update will cost more than the current 2.66GHz i7?

3) Will the i7 run much hotter than the i5? This may affect how much I can overclock the 330m.

2. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

To the best of my knowledge, the back to school sale is basically the year-round apple student discount, with a free ipod thrown in. this year it is an ipod touch. if u really want the config u said, wait. im guessing u have some type of mp3 player, so the ipod touch isnt that big of a deal.

I can guarantee it will cost more for the upgrade....its an upgrade

The heat i dont really know about. I would guess that more power and speed would mean more hear. but thats just a guess

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Apple may not even use. MBP update isn't expected before late 2010

2. Maybe, maybe not

3. I don't know how much but yes, it runs hotter

BTW, you can't get new iPod with BTS promo, it's only the current gen

4. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

1.) Nobody knows if that's in the cards for this fall. Even if it is, a .14Ghz speed bump isn't anything to get excited about.

2.) It might be a BTO option, or it may replace the stock 2.66 model. Again, no one knows.

3.) The i7 may run hotter than the i5, but it probably isn't that significant. it does reduce the battery life for sure though, so it does use a little more power.

Generally, for games, GPU>>CPU. So unless the next refresh incorporates something better than the 330M, I doubt you're going to see a significant difference between the 2.66 and 2.8 (assuming Apple offers it)

5. Hailfire753 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Are you sure the $200 rebate is only for current gen iPods? I could not find anything in the fine print that said that on apple's website...

EDIT oh, I see, I need to buy both at the same time, I was under the impression that the rebate could be used after buying the mac...

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The deal ends before new ones are announced. You have to buy the MBP and iTouch at the same time and then ask for rebate. You can ask the rebate within 90 days after receiving them but as I said, you have to get them BOTH at the same time, so no MBP on last day and then iPod when new ones comes, that doesnt work

7. sauria macrumors regular

Silent update

I was thinking of waiting for this "update," too.