Wait for iMac 6core or go for Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by secrethero, Nov 29, 2010.

  1. secrethero macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2010
    I am trying to decide.
    It has have 4+ cores due to heavy apps that i run.
    If Imac had 6cores that would work sweet and will satisfy me. But not sure if that ever going to happen.
    I am not in a rush. Shall I wait?
    Any thoughts?
  2. highdefw macrumors 6502

    Apr 19, 2009
  3. MacProDude macrumors member

    Aug 16, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If no rush, why not just wait?
  4. southnc macrumors member

    Mar 12, 2010
    If you can wait, I would actually wait for the next Mac PRO. I'm not sure you'll see a 6-core processor in anything less than a Mac Pro for quite some time anyway.

    First of all, Sandy Bridge is here NOW (or next month) and it will likely effect everything from the Mac Pro on down to the MBA next year. A mid-range quad-core SB can definitely hold it's own against today's most powerful iCore processors too. And if you don't require a souped-up GPU (such as in the MBA), you can go w/o a separate GPU and save power and probably money too, since the SB chip includes a potent GPU on the main chip itself!

    I expect a lot of things to happen in '11 - not just the hot new processor, but USB 3.0 (or something better), more powerful graphics, and better game support in Lion or whatever they will be calling it.

    My "game" plan is to wait until late August (tax-free weekend in NC :cool: ) and then do my planned tech refresh. I currently have a very capable MacBook Duo Core (Black - 250GB drive) from '08 with the crappy GMA GPU. I'm hoping for a new Mac Pro to run Flight Sim programs w/o having to boot-it in Win 7. That and the next gen iPad, of course. ;)

    Good luck.
  5. brentsg macrumors 68040

    Oct 15, 2008
    Good grief, the iMac just finally got out of the core2 duo ballpark. It's going to be some time before we see any hex cores in that lineup.
  6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
  7. Barnzee macrumors regular

    Oct 15, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I would wait for sandy bridge processors and Light Peak technology from Intel. Both should be available sometime on or around the first quarter of 2011.
  8. eatbacon macrumors regular

    Feb 4, 2003
    How can you simultaneously absolutely need more power now, and be able to wait for more power to come along?
  9. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

    Sep 24, 2008
    Boon Docks USA
    If your making money with these heavy apps, get the pro. If it's home stuff, the i7 iMac should be capable enough. What apps are you talking about?
  10. dissolve, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

    dissolve macrumors 6502a

    Aug 23, 2009
    Not for Xeon processors. That's not expected until the second half of 2011 unless something has changed since the announcement in September.
  11. Garen macrumors regular


    Apr 9, 2010
    Los Angeles Area
    If you need a 6c 3.33 now or in the near future you should get it now, I personally don't think we'll see a 6C in Imac in the near future.

  12. secrethero thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2010
  13. grue macrumors 65816

    Nov 14, 2003
    If you like being stuck with a godforsaken glossy 16:9 display, the iMac is your friend. :D
  14. secrethero thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2010
    I wouldnt hesitate a sec if it had 6cores. :)

Share This Page