Wait for iMac 6core or go for Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by secrethero, Nov 29, 2010.

1. secrethero macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide.
    It has have 4+ cores due to heavy apps that i run.
    If Imac had 6cores that would work sweet and will satisfy me. But not sure if that ever going to happen.
    I am not in a rush. Shall I wait?
    Any thoughts?

2. highdefw macrumors 6502

3. MacProDude macrumors member

If no rush, why not just wait?

4. southnc macrumors member

If you can wait, I would actually wait for the next Mac PRO. I'm not sure you'll see a 6-core processor in anything less than a Mac Pro for quite some time anyway.

First of all, Sandy Bridge is here NOW (or next month) and it will likely effect everything from the Mac Pro on down to the MBA next year. A mid-range quad-core SB can definitely hold it's own against today's most powerful iCore processors too. And if you don't require a souped-up GPU (such as in the MBA), you can go w/o a separate GPU and save power and probably money too, since the SB chip includes a potent GPU on the main chip itself!

I expect a lot of things to happen in '11 - not just the hot new processor, but USB 3.0 (or something better), more powerful graphics, and better game support in Lion or whatever they will be calling it.

My "game" plan is to wait until late August (tax-free weekend in NC :cool: ) and then do my planned tech refresh. I currently have a very capable MacBook Duo Core (Black - 250GB drive) from '08 with the crappy GMA GPU. I'm hoping for a new Mac Pro to run Flight Sim programs w/o having to boot-it in Win 7. That and the next gen iPad, of course. ;)

Good luck.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

Good grief, the iMac just finally got out of the core2 duo ballpark. It's going to be some time before we see any hex cores in that lineup.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

7. Barnzee macrumors regular

I would wait for sandy bridge processors and Light Peak technology from Intel. Both should be available sometime on or around the first quarter of 2011.

8. eatbacon macrumors regular

How can you simultaneously absolutely need more power now, and be able to wait for more power to come along?

9. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

If your making money with these heavy apps, get the pro. If it's home stuff, the i7 iMac should be capable enough. What apps are you talking about?

10. dissolve, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

dissolve macrumors 6502a

Not for Xeon processors. That's not expected until the second half of 2011 unless something has changed since the announcement in September.

11. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

If you need a 6c 3.33 now or in the near future you should get it now, I personally don't think we'll see a 6C in Imac in the near future.

Garen

12. secrethero thread starter macrumors newbie

13. grue macrumors 65816

If you like being stuck with a godforsaken glossy 16:9 display, the iMac is your friend. :D

14. secrethero thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldnt hesitate a sec if it had 6cores. :)