Wait for iMac or get a MBP 15 now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yinmay, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Yinmay macrumors regular

I currently have a 2009 MBP13 and it's not powerful enough for my needs anymore. Mostly working with really large excel sheets, audio editing, and boot camp gaming. Actually it never was enough to begin with but I didn't have the budget to get anything more than the cheapest uncustomized MBP until now.

I'm hesitating between an iMac or selling my 13 and buying a MBP 15 instead (I feel the 17 isn't mobile enough).

I'd rather keep my laptop because it's still a great machine and if I have another powerful computer, its current shortcomings won't be an issue anymore, but I'm getting a bit impatient. Any idea when the new iMac are coming out?

On the other hand, with a MBP 15 I'll have all my data on one computer and won't have to worry about syncing/transferring stuff. Besides having a large screen isn't very important to me. So the MBP 15 certainly has its advantages too.

Thanks for your advice.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

High-end iMac is almost twice as fast as fastest MBP so if you need power, get it instead. Of course, this costs you more than selling your current and buying a new one but if money isn't the biggest concern, then just get the iMac.

3. Yinmay thread starter macrumors regular

But the new iMacs aren't out yet and I don't feel like paying $2000 for a 1 year old computer. I can wait until mid July or so, but what if they're not refreshed until October or November?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's unlikely that the update will be significant, especially for the high-end. Just a new GPU, nothing more. You can wait if you want the latest and shiniest but in the end, you won't be getting much faster computer, maybe 10% in GPU intensive tasks such as games

5. alea macrumors newbie

You have to choose between power or mobility. You can't have both. From your description, I'm guessing you're leaning towards the iMac. Just be patient, going by the trend of the last update (October 20, 2009), the next refresh would come in the next 3-4 months. Remember, good things come to those who wait.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The iMac is only 7 months old or so, so you wouldn't be buying an old computer. I also doubt that the next update will be anything too serious, probably a set of new GPUs and replace the C2D with i3 or i5. I see no reason to wait, especially if you want a current i5/i7, I don't see those changing in the refresh, which as far as any of us know could be next week or it could be in 3 months.

7. EasyJW macrumors member

The iMac's will be almost twice as quick as teh fastest mbps [​IMG] i think cos the last upgrade was pretty major, the newer ones wont be much different and it will be around september november before they come out

8. MacSignal macrumors regular

A one computer set-up with a fast MBP 15 could be sweet if the performance is good enough for your requirements. If you're not sure, it seems like adding an iMac would be the safer choice given that it has more computing power.

9. Yinmay thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed, I'm out of town quite often and I use my laptop a lot on the go. Making sure both my computers have the latest versions of my documents or finding myself I forgot to transfer something from the desktop computer would be quite annoying.
    The i7 MBP15 seems powerful plenty to use as a desktop replacement while retaining mobility.

At the same time, the iMac's bigger screen makes for a decent TV replacement (dvd/hulu/etc. I don't have a TV).

Really torn.

While not obsolete or underpowered they are ridiculously expensive for their components. I can't get past the fact I could be getting more modern components and much higher resale value for the same price when the refresh occurs. $1500/1700 for an ATI 4670?! $2000 for only 4GB?!

Albeit it's still more powerful and cheaper than MBP but I'm sacrificing mobility and convenience for it.