Wait for iMac update? Get base iMac now? MBPr?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joeysarks, Jul 1, 2012.

  1. joeysarks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2011
    Location:
    Detroit
    #1
    I'm getting into video editing and would like to upgrade from my 13 inch Macbook pro from last year. In this weird spot though where I don't know if I should just get a base model iMac for now, and upgrade once it gets the big overhaul next year. Or should I wait for the spec update that hopefully is coming within a month or two? OR should I invest in a Macbook Pro Retina and just use an external monitor for extra screen real estate? (I have a 1080p Asus I use for gaming as well)

    I'll mostly be doin video editing, some light gaming (I buy WoW time randomly) and traktor djing as well. (I don't see gigs in the future right now so I won't put a hugh emphasis on mobility) It is nice to have the option for moving around though, and in case I stream at someone elses house or go to a LAN it'd be nice to take my laptop for making videos.

    My main fear with laptops though has always been heat. With streaming 720p or higher for hours on end, tons of video encoding/rendering, and light gaming, I feel like I would just melt my MBPr within the first year. I've always had Dell desktops before this so I never really worried about it before my 13 inch MBP. Would it be a huge strain on a MBPr if I was doin all this...should I snag an iMac instead?
     
  2. ZacT94 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2012
    #2
    Have you got the money to buy the base iMac and then upgrade when the new one comes out? If so, then you should buy the base iMac now and then upgrade when the overhaul happens.
     

Share This Page