iPad Wait for iPad Air 2 or get Samsung Galaxy S

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rbfinch2, Sep 11, 2014.

1. rbfinch2 macrumors member

I'm itching for a tablet and I've been a MAC guy for sometime now, and I currently have all mac products (iMac, iPhone 5s). I also really want a tablet, but at the same time there's a part of me that wants to venture out and try something new, but I'm worried I won't like it. So here's my question since I can't figure out how to create a poll:

Wait for the new iPad Air 2 or try the new Samsung Galaxy S 10.5?

I don't know anything about Samsung's operating system except for the fact that it's Android.

Will the iPad Air definitely come out in October too?

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Nobody can say for certain if or when the next iPad update will come, but it's likely to be late October or early to mid-November.

As for iPad vs. Samsung Galaxy S 10.5, people are probably going to run through spec comparisons, app comparisons, usage comparisons, and so on... but it's a product and it's your choice. You're curious, so what do you have to lose? Buy one, try it out, and if you don't like it, sell it to recoup some of the money. If you're really worried and want to dabble in Android first, then buy an older Android tablet to get a feel for it. Sure, the experience is likely to be better on a newer device, but you're just trying to see how you feel about it, right? And if you dislike it, then once again, sell it.

As a disclaimer, I'm all-in with Apple, have not used Android and am not curious to try. But if I were, I'd do what I just advised.

3. rbfinch2 thread starter macrumors member

Well stated! The only problem is I did just that and bought a Samsung on ebay, used and older, and I'm am now going through a refund process since she shipped incorrectly and broke it :(

I'm a little nervous buying something again unless it's new.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'd stick Apple. I feel like they do tablets a lot better than Android.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I have to agree. I've tried them all out and the iPad always wins. Doesn't mean everything apple does is the best, not at all. But tablets? Yeah, they got it down.

6. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

Viruses & operating system, two factors that I could never overlook,

Viruses: having an issue pop up at random, affecting my system, without understanding the problem and not being able to fix it....no thanks

Operating system: it's all very well liking the chassis and features but if the personality, heart and soul sucks then what's the point.....no thanks

7. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

With phones you could say one or another, but for the tablet experience, I would honestly only consider the iPad. But you'll see what we mean if you do go ahead and buy the samsung ;)

8. rbfinch2 thread starter macrumors member

I just hope they update the new iPad Air in the next couple of weeks, I'm getting frustrated I need a tablet lol

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Just wait a month to see what the next iteration brings.

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

You'll have a more tablet optimized experience on the iPad I believe, but there are things you can do with Samsungs tablets that you just can't with the iPad.

I love my iPad, but like a poster above me said, you should just get a cheap android tablet to try it out before you make a commitment.

11. AlphaHel1X macrumors newbie

AlphaHel1X

Apple: same number of "viruses" as android (using App Store). Let's hope someone else mines more celeb nudes/data from iCloud soon though :cool:

OP, both are great products with lots of horsepower, bright futures, and pluses/minuses.

Consider what type of device you genuinely want. Not what you want this second.

- iPad: Do you just want something very fast, shockingly simple, familiar, that just works?
    - Tab S: do you love tinkering? Having massive developer communities, and being able to change/alter/improve every aspect of your device? What about torrenting, TV remote, true multitasking, etc.?

12. GaryPSU macrumors newbie

IPad Air issues

My iPad Air on ios 7.1.2 (and on 7.0) has either not enough RAM or poor memory management or both. The Genius Bar even replaced it with a new one. Still have the problem of freezing in Safari. Very annoying. A third party app "Memory Info" releases the memory, and UN- freezes it. I was hoping for a fix from ios 8, but not optimistic.

13. AlphaHel1X macrumors newbie

AlphaHel1X

My safari reloading problem went away after I restored from iTunes, jailbroke with pangu, and switched to chrome.

Nitrous doesn't hurt either

14. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

if you can score an iPad Air from best buy on sale and stack a mover's and .edu discount, my vote is go for the iPad Air

people were getting the 16GB iPad Air for ~$320. whatever features the next iPad Air 2 has, are they worth 56% more in price?

if the extra $180 doesn't affect you ability to save or meet the obligations of other expenses...then heck just buy whatever, then when the new one comes out flip, and buy the new one. your cost of owning an iPad gets spread out each year instead of lump sums every 2-4 yrs etc. that's what i do but i do it on the refurb side

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Tim Cook said there is only 9% of Kit Kat installed worldwide so I don't think I will go with SamSung or any other Android tablets. :apple:

16. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I would say try it. You don't know if you like or hate the Android experience until you actually TRY IT. Many people that swear by Apple and hate anything Android have probably never tried one (I don't mean held your friends device. I mean using one for a week or 2 as your primary device). Vice versa for many Android people regarding Apple devices.

I tried an Android phone for 2 weeks or so a while back and it wasn't for me. That doesn't mean it's not for you though. So go for it. The worst thing that can happen is that you learn you don't like Androids and it costs you a few $. But if you are looking for a new iPad that's probably not your primary worry.

17. macmee Suspended

macmee

I have a Macbook, iMac, iPhone, Apple TV and iPad. Apple makes the iPad thinner, Microsoft put full Windows on a tablet. I bought the Surface Pro 3 and haven't looked back.

18. Flip Vinyl, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

Flip Vinyl macrumors newbie

I'm considering the same products, iPad Air/iPad Air 2 and Tab S 10.5" (primarily for the AMOLED screen -- with aging eyes, I can use the Samsung Note 3's AMOLED without reading glasses, and the 10.5" on the Tab S has to be very similar). But a fave reviewer, Erica Griffin on youtube, isn't thrilled with the performance of the Samsung Exynos chip -- might need to wait for the LTE version using Snapdragon at a much higher cost, of course). Of course, Samsung just might do as they are prone to do, releasing a whole new slew of models by EOY using the Snapdragon without LTE, so the cost is a bit lower.

My experience with iOS includes a 3rd gen iPod Touch which did not get updated past iOS 5. My girlfriend has an iPad 2 I've used quite a bit, and it's quite pleasing for browsing, using Hangouts, email (we're not gamers), plus apps on iOS she runs, that I also have on my Android tablet running the latest KitKat OS, are better in terms of layout and sometimes offer a bit more functionality than the Android version.

To get a taste of Android, my recommendation is to only get a Google Nexus tablet since that will receive OS updates the longest of any Android brand (for low cost entry, get a refurb 2013 Nexus 7 if you want a true Android experience with a retina-esque screen). I like that Apple is updating the iPad 2 to iOS 8. While I doubt Dell will be updating my Venue 8 tab past KitKat 4.4.2. This matters!

My Dell is now being fixed by Dell -- started to act up after they pushed an OS update back in June, and it just got worse and worse as the days rolled on, until last week it would not boot. At all. Power up, yes. I think the software hosed itself up rendering the device unbootable, could not even do a system recovery (which is wiping everything clean and starting from scratch). You may read of other's Android experiences stating the slowing down (even crippling) of their device's performance over time. Timely, stable OS updates helps avoid this, and you want to pick a brand offering these (I learned Sony is good about this now, too, a surprise -- so they are now on my radar screen).

The look and feel customization is a key advantage of Android devices in 2014, still. And having enjoyed tinkering with a bajillion widgets for weather/clocks/evernote/flipboard/tumblr/twitter, it's cool looking and impressive, but not really hugely more convenient. At the end of the day, running cleaner-designed apps with more stability is more key to me. I suspect iOS apps are more stable, slightly more feature rich. Certainly there are far more tablet-optimized apps for iOS.

Screen aspect ratio is also key, especially if you're not a hardcore gamer or aspiring movie critic, and the iPad Air's 4:3 aspect ratio seems a better choice, for the primary way I want to use a tablet. I do not enjoy using the 16:9 or 16:10 (Tab S) ratios when using a tablet in portrait mode! 4:3 is the way to go if you're going to want to use portrait mode often. This alone compels me into the iOS tab ecosystem.

Can someone please make a 10+ inch tab without bloatware, with awesome AMOLED screen, stereo front-mounted speakers, with microSD slot, and no need to root or jailbreak to best enjoy the device?

19. chupachup macrumors 6502

There are no viruses unless you yourself install them. It is a myth. I've had Android for a year and I have 0 viruses. How can you possibly get a virus?

----------

These threads are very frustrating and almost impossible to answer because it all depends on what you use your tablet for.

The Tab S is a great tablet. The screen is amazing. The Samsung UI does have lag and it is quite noticeable when you're dealing with pictures. That's what I noticed when I was using it. Other than that, it is a really nice tablet. Maybe the average user won't notice any lag. If real multitasking is important for you, such as having a few windows opened at the same time, then you have no choice but Android. Also, if you want to take notes, then the Note Pro is great.

So it all depends on your usage because ultimately what separates Android and iOS when it comes to tablets are the Apps. Basically speaking, Android tablet apps either suck or are just not there at all.

So, for example, if you're a designer, you have to get an iPad. There is nothing like, for instance, iDraw. Not only is it not available for Android but the Android store has nothing that comes even close to it.

If you're browsing and watching videos and social networking, taking notes, etc, then it doesn't matter.

20. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

The iPad Air 2 can give you super powers and bag hot models.

No seriously you know nothing about the iPad 2 other then it should be coming out in a month. Its also a mac fan website. Everyone is going to tell you to wait.

If the Galaxy was cheaper I say go for it.

I am actually interested in the 99 dollar Fire HD. All I want it for is to read magazines/comic books and that is about it. $500 for a tablet that does that is a bit over kill. I have had 2 iPads given to me as gifts and always sell them in 1-2 months because my laptop and iPhone do what it does but better or are more convenient. Writing a email is a pain on my phone but not much easier on the iPad. Writing a paper or taking notes. Easier on a phone until they have the write on the iPad that converts it to text.

IT depends what you need it for and not man it would be cool to have a sick tablet

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

The way the iPhone and iPad works together I'll stick with Apple. I like the ability to receive & make calls and texts from my iPad. Apple has made many things very convenient for me.

I'm upgrading my iPhone 5 to a 6 (no Plus for me) now, and my iPad 2 to the next IPad released.

22. chupachup macrumors 6502

I'm waiting. I even sold my laptop to replace it with the iPad Air 2.

The reason I'm waiting is iDraw.

If you just need a tablet for the basics any will do.

If you have a Mac, wait.

23. Naramis macrumors member

This is the main reason I went with iPad.

Mostly I read books/magazines/PDF articles, which is better on portrait mode. The Tab S (and any Android tablet I know of) is just awkward to use on portrait, both because of the screen ratio and because of button placement.

Android tablets are made to be used on landscape mode, that's just how they made the system. Which is good for watching videos but not much else.

I like the Android OS, I'm currently using it on my phone, but when it comes to tablets, I think it just doesn't hold up to the iPad.

24. ab2c4 macrumors member

Between these two devices I would definitely say the Air 2. Samsung products with TouchWiz and their own Soc is almost always a laggy device. Unfortunately when people think of Android they think of Samsung and they shouldn't. The upcoming Nexus tablet is the one you should be looking at if you want an Android tablet.