iPad mini Wait for iPad mini 2 or get iPad mini now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by willhammer, Aug 6, 2013.

  1. willhammer, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

    willhammer macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2013
    Hey, guys!
    I'm just thinking should I get a iPad mini now or wait for iPad mini 2 which has Retina display? I just want to use my iPad mini to watch videos, read eBooks and play some games. Do I need a Retina display?
  2. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

    May 15, 2013
    Wait until they announce mini 2 and then decide if it's worth your money. If not, get a first gen mini for less money :)
  3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020


    Apr 24, 2013
    New Orleans
    I agree 100% with Tommy ^^^^
    Just wait a while and see what the new one brings
  4. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

    May 15, 2013
    Oh, and retina display will definitely provide better reading experience. The same goes for video (of course only if you watch 720p or higher).
  5. snow755 macrumors 65816


    Sep 12, 2012
    Re ports have that the iPad mini 2 won't have retina display
  6. Rodster macrumors 68040

    May 15, 2007
    We are so close to iPad announcements it would be foolish to buy now unless you NEED something right now. As others have said wait to see what Apple unveils in the next 1-2 months as Amazon will probably announce their lineup next month and Apple typically goes last as they are what most wait for. ;)
  7. ChrisTX macrumors 68030


    Dec 30, 2009
    New reports by the Wall Street Journal say they will. Apple would be foolish to release a non retina display iPad mini.
  8. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 14, 2013
    The answer to "Do I need retina?" is no. Will you want the retina model when it comes out? Probably, but I won't if it gets heavier, thicker, or looses battery time. I just bought a second Mini this month, and my wife is quite happy with it. She also has an iPad 4, and keeps saying she never thought she'd be so happy with the Mini. Text is often more well-defined with retina, but it depends on the source of the text. If you look at the The Verge on a Mini, the text is much more defined than it is on MSN's site (or even Apple's!). I'm getting an easy 12 hours of battery life on my Mini, and won't accept more than a 2 minute reduction. :D

    P.S. The text on my Mini looks better than on an 11" MacBook Air, so......
  9. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

    Jan 20, 2010
    Apple would be beyond stupid if they release a non-retina iPad mini with heavy competition.
    I expect a retina iPad mini at the current $329 price and the current non-retina to drop between $229-$249
  10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    Agreed. I'd wait a couple of months and see what Apple introduces.
  11. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2011
    I bought mine a few months ago and love it but if I were buying today I'd wait. We're probably reasonably close to an update.
  12. yth macrumors member

    Jun 17, 2012
    I'd get the Nexus 7 or wait for the iPad Mini 2. No reason to get the current iPad Mini, as it's inferior to both options
  13. mtneer macrumors 68030


    Sep 15, 2012
    I would wait not only for the chance of snagging a retina display, but also to get into an upgraded processor. The iPad mini currently is already a couple of generations behind the latest processor and may be left out of future updates much sooner than the mini 2 - just think of what happened to the iPad 1.
  14. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    May 6, 2010
    New York
    A month or two ago I would have said go for it, but at this point just wait.

    I bought my mini a couple months ago fully understanding that at year's end I'd probably be eBaying and upgrading. Now that we're in August, it's a little late IMO.
  15. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

    Apr 6, 2012
    Only if you can get a good deal on the current ones.

    I got one for $259 + tax and it really is awesome for that price.
  16. princebig7 macrumors member

    Apr 25, 2013
    Respond to my ebay thread on my recent ipad mini purchase please, I'd like to hear your thoughts!
  17. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

    Apr 21, 2004
    I want an even lighter ipad mini. No I would not upgrade for retina but slightly heavier.
  18. ItsWelshy macrumors regular

    Jul 31, 2012
    I'm waiting it out, hoping for the same from factor with a better processor and 128gb storage.

    Not arsed about Retina, but I don't want it to get bigger/heavier.

    If it does get bigger or heavier, I'll rush out and buy a Mini 1
  19. Soordhin, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

    Soordhin macrumors member

    Apr 13, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm tired of waiting, therefore i just ordered a Nexus 7 instead. My first Android device, gonna see how it works in my IT infrastructure. If the iPad mini is nice enough i might just buy it as well, but i guess the new mac pro comes first.

    Still have my third gen iPad and will most likely continue to use it when i need a bigger screen. But 7 inch is a nice size for portability.
  20. mcdj macrumors G3


    Jul 10, 2007

    Attached Files:

  21. James717 macrumors regular

    Jul 1, 2013
    retina or none ...

    I will buy the ipad mini with the longest battery usage.

    If under 10 hours but with Retina, NOPE

    If over 12 hours without Rentia, YUP.

    If...maybe....by some ingenious design....over 12 hours plus retina???
  22. James717 macrumors regular

    Jul 1, 2013
  23. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

    Jun 26, 2010
    Neither. Use pen and paper because it'll never be obsolete and that seems to be your fear, which you can't ever escape from because there will always be the next and newer... :D
  24. rneglia macrumors 6502


    Apr 18, 2006

    the new iPad Minis will be announced at the same time as the new iPhones.
  25. James717 macrumors regular

    Jul 1, 2013

    You say this because?

    You know this how?

Share This Page