Wait for iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy S2 now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2Shae, Jun 10, 2011.

1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

My current 3GS is semi-broken. The ear speaker doesn't work, but I'm not getting it fixed...again.
    Also my carrier contract just finished so I can get a new phone.

What should I do?
    1. Get a Samsung Galaxy S2 (no contract, 450 euro)
    2. Samsung Galaxy S2 with 1-year contract (pay 300 euro for phone)
    3. Second hand iPhone 4 (350 euro)
    4. Endlessy wait for iPhone 4S.

The thing is that don't really want the "upgraded" iPhone 4. I want the 2012 version iPhone aka iPhone 5.

Advice me please because I'm in a dilemma.

Ps: I want a phone which can also make good quality pictures which is why I'm not getting a temporary "dumb" phone.

2. JASApplications macrumors 65816

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You've answered your question. Get the Galaxy S2

4. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Second hand iPhone 4 or 3GS now. Then when the next version of the iphone is released your upgrade eligibility is still intact. Then upgrade and sell the 4.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Yeah, one year contract with the S2 and by then, you can get the 2012 iPhone that you want if you really don't want this years version.

6. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

In all honesty, I'd wait for the "upgraded" iPhone 4, that's what I did (instead of getting a 3G I got waited to get a 3Gs), and what I am doing now... unless my 3Gs doesn't survive much longer (it's had so much extensive water and beer damage I don't know how it still is functioning).

But then again it's up to what you want, not me.

Personally, if I move away from an iPhone, I will move to Windows Phone 7, assuming they ever get hardware up to the standard of the iPhone 4 (everything I've seen has been pretty cheap build quality). I love the OS, it's damn beautiful because I am a minimalist at heart. If I were as much in love with Android as I was with WP7, the S2 looks like it has some decent construction and I would probably go for it.

But like I said and am saying again, it's all you buddy.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like you have already made up your mind. Get the Galaxy S2.

8. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

BUT I'm also not really a fan of android. Major reason being that most apps are butt-ugly.
    And my girlfriend has the old galaxy S which is giving her nothing but problems.
    Even though I'm more of a techy than her, I can't figure out why it Android apps crash so much or why the phone randomly freezes.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Don't like android, then go with this response.

10. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

But isn't paying 350+ euro's expensive for an 1-year old phone?

Remember I want a new good camera too, because of the summer holidays.

Man why can't Apple just release the new iPhone in July or something!!

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

LOL what? You're acting as if you know what the iPhone will have and will not have before it's released. The next iPhone will be the 5th generation iPhone, hence iPhone 5. No 4S crap. What you want is the 6th generation iPhone, so then the S2 is right for you.

Personally, i'd wait.

12. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Buy a iPhone 4
    You don't like android and the 4 has a great camera

/thread

13. outlawarth macrumors regular

14. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly what I'm going to do now.

I have an appointment to pick up someone's new-in-box iPhone 4 32GB for

15. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

wait for the iphone 5 or get the samsung galaxy s2, do not go for a one year old phone.

at this moment the performance of the samsung rapes the iphone 4, mainly because it is using the latest technology, android has improved and you can't even compare it to the year old iphone 4.

the iphone 5 will probably be on par/surpass any other phone on the market, like it usually does.

it also depends on what you want, i got bored of the IOS ui and wanted a bit of a change, so i went with the samsung galaxy s2 and im loving it!

however do you like IOS? how do you feel about android? the software makes these phones IMO, the samsung is faster, better camera IMO (i have a iphone 4 as well, but IMO the samsung is a little bit better), the screen is better IMO however if you don't like android, these features are worthless.

also don't expect the battery life on the samsung to be as good as the iphone, the battery life is good on the samsung! and using certain apps i can get longer use as well, but out of the box, iphone stomps in the category.

16. DanteMann, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

DanteMann macrumors 6502

Ok this is absolutely not even close. Unless the people answering you have a GS2 and and iPhone, don't know how they can answer this for you with any confidence. I have an iPhone 4 and just received my Galaxy S2 days back. When I say it's not even close, it really isn't. I had my iphone 4 for just over a month, and have a very good feel for it. The Galaxy S2 is just smoother in use and in feel and in every way. This phone has a much bigger screen but the phone doesn't feel a whole lot bigger thanks to it's weight and incredible thinness. It's noticeably lighter and the screen is simply GORGEOUS. Unlike all those ridiculous super macro close ups of displays you see in reviews these days, the screen is super clear and vibrant in real use. For me the iPhone is not even in the same league, honestly. Since getting my GS2 I've just been doing a lot of reading on it and the Galaxy phones. Here's the real kicker, the GS3, that's right I said GS3, will be out early 2012. So just imagine, if this phone is this unbelievable, can't imagine what's in store for the GS3. So you see, the next iPhone won't be going up against the GS2, it will be going up against the GS3. When people here are saying Apple is playing catch up, I for one can see exactly what this really means. I also now understand when Android users say, not all Android phones are the same. They really aren't. If anyone says they had a GS2 and says it was horrible, I would really have to think they're just trolling. The same way if anyone had an iPhone and said that it plain out sucked. It's just not true.
    So basically, if you make the move to this phone, I think you will be hooked. And from all my recent reading, considering all the new innovations Samsung displayed recently with their displays, processors, and memory, I think there will be a massive jump with the GS3.
    BTW, I'm keeping my iPhone 4 as my back up. I thought of sellling it, but why lose so much money on a phone that I just got. Worst case scenario, I give it to one of my family members down the road. Maybe when the GS3 comes out. ;)

17. samven582 macrumors 6502a

2. Samsung Galaxy S2 with 1-year contract (pay 300 euro for phone)

18. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

i am selling mi iphone 4 to buy the galaxy s2 i really want it

19. Cheplampardfan macrumors member

20. Slappi macrumors member

I have had the 3gs since it came out and I love the phone but it is starting to act strange and it is showing its age. I like the iPhone 4 but I used the GS3 the other day and no way would I get the 4 over that. I have been planning on the iPhone 5 for a year now but not even a peep out of Apple about it?!?

Sorry.... ok Apple you had a way better product in the iPhone than all the others for a long time and milked your customer because you could by keeping everyone in the dark year after year but I don't think so anymore.

Almost insulting to not even give your fans a hint to the iPhone 5s release besides saying iOS5 in the Fall.... what is that? Almost like you want to lose customers.

Think it's about time to jump ship. Nice phone Apple but you're getting too big for your own good.

21. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually still doubting now on getting the SGS2 instead.

This week i'll decide.

22. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Just a heads up, I got the Galaxy S2 and was swayed back when iOS5 was released (I'm a dev). I switched back to the iPhone for 2 days and truly found myself missing the Galaxy S2. I've now switched back (at least until the iPhone 5) and couldn't be happier. One thing to note however, is that the Galaxy S2 takes some time to customize to your liking but as long as you're willing to put a few hours into customizing it, you'll love it.

23. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Let me tell you something mate, Megapixels ≠ Image Quality.

I own the Samsung Galaxy S II as well as the iPhone 4. I promise you my iPhone 4 completely destroys the SGS2 when it comes to the camera, even though it is only 5MP compared to the SGS2's 8MP.

24. nexsta macrumors 6502

Be a man and repair the 3GS for yourself, there are thousands of instructions videos in the web for it like for no other phone and the piece you need cost 3$ on ebay. Then use your 3GS till the iPhone 4S comes out and then sell the 3GS and buy the new iphone, it's that easy...

25. matrix07, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Frankly I wouldn't touch Android at the moment. With iCloud if you plan to buy iPad everything will be just in sync. Unless you're curious of course.
    Better screen, better camera and better battery from a 1 year old phone, not too shabby I must say.