Wait for iPhone 5 or get an iPhone 4 around now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gambiit08, May 16, 2011.

1. Gambiit08 macrumors member

Gambiit08

Hey, I wanted to get an new iPhone..and didn't get the 4 right away...I heard rumors that the iPhone 5 won't come out until 2012..and I'm wondering if I should get an iPhone 4 around now...or wait for the 5...I want to wait for the 5..but if it comes out in 2012...I'd rather just get the 4 now

Any info/input is greatly appreciated.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Rumors point toward a September release. You can make your own decision on what that means to you and if your willing to wait :)

3. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I think you have to give yourself at least till mid june to give it's rumor work itself out little more than what we have now.

Wait till mid june at least please(that's what I am doing even w/ holding this droid X)

4. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

Latest rumour is... Nov 21...
    It's really personal preference...
    I think that this update will only be a 4 inch screen and A5 dual core processor, along with an upgraded camera system.
    Other than that... I doubt there'd be any more killer features.
    NFC and 4G probably won't come out yet.

5. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Depends on what phone you're using right now.

6. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Just wait. If you get a phone now, you will regret it when the next one is released in a few months.

7. matancer067 macrumors member

matancer067

iphone 4 or 5

I've heard that the iPhone 5 wont be out until Sept. I think I'll hold on to my 3Gs until mid-2012 for the 6 model. hopefully that one will run on AT&T 4G network.

8. roflc0pter macrumors regular

9. Gambiit08 thread starter macrumors member

Gambiit08

yeah...i had an iphone 3g...it kept crashing and lagging after a few years..not sure why...got a blackberry torch to test it out (never used a bb before) big mistake...for me at least...thus i didnt get an iphone 4...and i want to wait for the 5...but i like the 4 as well...i was planning on waiting until july-ish anyways...and i guess i could wait until september...ish because i do want an iphone again..but 2012 might be too long for me to bear haha

10. iJays macrumors regular

how about iPhone 6?
    i am sure it is better than iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 :apple:

11. calvy macrumors 65816

I know people that just bought 3Gs's. They are happy as hell. Yet all of us here just have to have the latest on launch day or the day before if possible.

I say just get iPhone 4. It's a great phone and likely won't be very different than the iPhone 5 or whatever. Plus getting an iPhone 5 on launch day will likely be some work.

12. Smoothness macrumors regular

It becomes...wait 3 weeks until wwdc...then maybe wait 3 months until December. Can you wait that long?

13. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Get an iPhone 4 now. It will probably be a while until you can easily get hold of the next iPhone.

14. rerelease macrumors regular

Similar dilemma here. Living in Eastern Europe I can be pretty sure that whenever the iPhone launches in the US, I can get it ~2 months later (at best).

I figured if I bought a factory unlocked iPhone 4 right now it wouldn't lose much of its resale value by the time the iPhone 5 comes out (assuming it's even worth the upgrade...). But I'm still on the fence, 599€ is a lot of dough to cough up.

15. alamein macrumors member

get an iphone 4 now, and if Apple indeed releases the iphone 5 this year, wait for another 6-12 months to buy the new one. it would be difficult getting the new one anyway, i'm sure you're not open to waiting til end of the year to make your decision.

16. $eb0 macrumors newbie

I'd get the 4 now and be happy with it. Even if the 5 should come out this September it won't have any features that you absolutely NEED to have on it. You can upgrade it after the first pricing loss, too :)

17. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I'm using June as a cut off date. You can't wait forever: there will always be something new "right around the corner".

From June to September is a long damn four months.

18. TWD98j macrumors regular

I'd at the very least, wait until WWDC to see what, if anything, gets announced. I'm still on my 3GS from launch day of 2009 and I've been eligible to upgrade since last June, but I didn't (and still don't) want the iPhone 4, so I'm among the masses who are patiently waiting. I really hope they announce something at WWDC though because even though my 3GS still works great, it's starting to show its age.

19. outlawarth macrumors regular

20. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Your the 4th person to say that. Hope people can read, because that's exactly what I will do, wait for the WWDC.

21. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Wait. Personally I would NEVER buy a phone (for full price or upgrade) that is over 6 months 'old'. And I mean only a few months to go anyway...

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

i second that

23. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

NO matter what, wait till WWDC like some are saying.
    EVEN if you really need it, AT least wait till WWDC so that you don't kick yourself(even if that possiblity is .0000000000001)

24. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Ignore the September rumors people seem to think rumor means fact these days. Only thing guaranteed is WWDC in a few weeks.