Wait for iPhone 5 or get iPod Classic Used

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by arj8138, Oct 12, 2010.

1. arj8138 macrumors member

Heres my Dilemma:

I have ~25+gigs of music, 167 apps, ~5 gigs for movies/TV shows on mobile device. I would really like the option to carry around more than the 16gigs my iPhone allows me currently.

Option 1:
    Wait until Summer 2011 when I can upgrade my iPhone, get the iPhone 5 32gig, which, will most likely be $300 [past prices, current prices, etc etc]

Option 2:
    Upgrade Summer 2011 to smallest size iPhone, get a used iPod Classic/Video/5th gen now. [$200 for the phone, ~$100 for 80-120gig iPod depending on condition]

I have had two devices before [dumb phone and iPod Touch] and Ive kind of enjoyed having only one thing in my pocket. But there have been times where I wanted to listen to music that I dont have on my iPhone, or need to use my phones GPS and have to keep it in an awkward position so that the music still plays. Or that ive spent all day listening to music and I have battery issues.

So what I'm looking from the community is if you would rather just wait it out and get a new larger iPhone or go the two device route [oh and WHY].

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

What makes you think that there will be a 'new' iPhone in Summer of 2011?

There are rumors, that's hardly enough to justify their effect on your purchases.

If 16 gigs is not sufficient, save up for a 32 gig iPhone 4? One might suggest that there is a speed bump for the iPhone 4 in Summer of 2011 (july, yes?) But that's a rumor, and it could equally be just a Verizon version of the iPhone 4.

So we're back at iPhone 4 v Ipod Classic. IN which case do you need a new phone?

the iPod Classic is approaching death though, I think, or at least it's not goign to get much more radical, but I could be wrong.

3. arj8138 thread starter macrumors member

By new i mean refresh - not anything drastic, just faster speed etc etc etc. Also ill be up for renewal, phone will be out of warranty, techno lust etc. will make me get the new model when im eligible for the upgrade.

And since I am getting the Classic used it being at the end of the life cycle isnt a factor.

What I am asking is anyones opinion on carrying that much music/video on your phone [like if you have a 32gig iPhone and its full]. Do you like having it all on your phone? Do you sometimes wish you had two separate devices? Pros/Cons basically

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

personally i love having everything on one device, but i only have a 16 gig model, so yeh...

5. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

And you honestly need to carry ALL the movies and apps, and music that is on your computer. Before the iphone4, I had a 8 GB 3G and it held all I needed and more. Now I have a 32GB iPhone 4 and most of the space is wasted on music because I mostly listen to pandora.