Wait for Ivy Bridge or Get Sandy Bridge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JT123, Sep 24, 2011.

1. JT123 macrumors member

I may be over thinking this purchase but my latest intentions have been to hold off getting a Macbook Pro until Apple do or don't do the supposed processor refresh this October. I was then thinking maybe I should wait until they do the 'redesign' and update the Sandy processors to Ivy's. Is this taking it too far?:confused:

Also what are your opinions on Anti-Glare vs. Glossy HiDef screens (i know there are other threads on this but just wanted to get some more opinions)

2. jimmie32 macrumors member

jimmie32

There are just too many threads on this :p

As for Ivy Bridge, if you need your MBP now, buy it; if not, wait. I got my MBP when I was well aware that there was a more superior i7 (2860QM) CPU that could go into the MBP in a silent update already, but I still got the 2.3GHz one.

Just ask yourself this:
    1. Do you need it? If yes, buy. If no, continue.
    2. Do you want it? HELL YEAH. Buy. If no, err, what? o_O

That's it.
    Ivy might bring a ~10% performance increase, lower heat, etc, but its mostly placebo. Hell, I've lived with a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo for 4 years. It doesn't hurt.

As for antiglare, there are many opinions really. I personally love it, since my workstation is well illuminated (I mean, too well illuminated) and the antiglare screen can easily counter that. My glossy external monitor is impossible to read in the afternoon. So, it really helps.
    If you won't take your MBP outside or you use it mostly indoors without lots of sunlight, get the Glossy.
    If you want more screen real estate + above, get the Glossy high-res.
    If you like that silver bezel (it actually looks more consistent for me) or use your MBP outside / take it outside frequently, get the Anti-Glare high-res.

But be warned: Fonts *are* smaller with the High-Res. Decreasing resolution IS NOT AN OPTION (it'll make things pixelated as hell), so if you don't have good eyesight or hate small fonts - get the Glossy. Your only option. :p

But just go in-store and check those out. I don't have good eyesight, but the small fonts were perfectly fine for me. The Glossy (Non-High Resolution) had too big fonts for me. :p

Just a matter of personal preference really.

3. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I don't believe there will be a processor refresh but rather a processor bump, if that. Apple will most likely add a few CPU upgrade options to their high-end 15" and 17" models.
    As for the supposed redesign, there's absolutely no indication, at least as of now, that a "redesign" or a "complete revamp" will happen with Ivy-Bridge models. Additionally, a "redesign" can mean anything. I doubt that Ivy-Bridge models will bring as much improvement (with over 2x performance increase) over last generation as the current Sandy-Bridge models did, with. As for design/construction, the MBP is pretty much as good as it gets.

My advice, if you need a computer, then buy now; if you don't, then hold off until you need one. I guarantee you that the current models will still do 95% of the tasks just as well as the next gen models, when those come out.

5. JT123 thread starter macrumors member

I have also heard of a possible Retina display - I thought this was impossible because of cost factors. Apparently they would be pushing it to put a retina in an iPad because it will inflate the price too much, so is a 13,15 or 17 retina out of the question?

6. KPOM macrumors G5

The main advantages Ivy Bridge will bring are lower power consumption and better integrated graphics performance. The latter might be compelling for those considering a 13" MacBook Pro who can hold out another few months until the Ivy Bridge processors are ready, but if you need something now the best advice is to consider what's available now and just get it.

7. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

OS X needs resolution independence before DPI goes any higher on the laptops.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I would expect a bit more than 10% performance increase from Ivy Bridge. More like 20-30% the rest will probably be just energy savings.

What you shouldn't forget if you are looking for the allround notebook and want some gaming too, is that 28nm shrink will even come a little before IB.
    After 2 Years 40nm we get 28nm now and that should make for a quite significant difference in 3D performance.
    If you only intend to use the MBP in OSX for work and stuff there is no need for anything faster but if you do like BF3 videos and want to play it I would wait.

I am 100% on the AG. I wouldn't buy a glass screen notebook.

9. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

10. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

just placebo?
    if you say so...:cool:
    just Trigate,22nm,better Integrate Gpu with dx11 and Open CL..:D
    better mobile Gpu..AMd 7xxx....mmm mm...:rolleyes::D
    seems to me only..but look a very good placebo...
    not to mention a possible redesign lettin out the Optical unit..:D:rolleyes:

then..if you need it,buy it now,Sandy machines are great.

11. ReidStylez macrumors member

Or buy sandy bridge now and then when the ivy bridge comes out sell your sandy bridge and basically take whatever loss you have ( shouldn't be too much ) and think of it as a renters fee. :)

12. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Hmm, it's pretty shocking that an update includes better hardware, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'm getting the Sandy Bridge 15" MBP next week because I need it now. Even though faster hardware is released, the Sandy Bridge MBP will last for at least the next few years to come.

13. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Yay. Even more pixels the anemic GPU's can't push:rolleyes:
    Don't see that. The display's are already quite good for TN laptop. Viewing angles are terrible, of course.

14. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

This coming from a guy who paid an extra $200 for a CPU upgrade that made his machine ~3% faster...

----------

Um. The GPUs in the 15" high ends are actually quite nice. And as far as 2D capabilities.. you could have 20 MP displays, and they'd be perfectly capable of displaying them even on the Intel HD 3000.

...the viewing angles on the new MBPs are phenomenal.

15. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Ahh... Thank you for being the voice of truth, and reason. Seriously.:)

16. glhiii macrumors regular

Santa Rosa with older LED AG screen

I'm using an older (non unibody) Santa Rosa because I don't like glossy and can't read the tiny type on the new MBP AG. I just upgraded the hd disk to a 500 gb momentus hybrid and the RAM to 6 GB. It made it seem twice as fast as before, and the AG LED screen is wonderful. Too bad you can't put that screen on the new MBP.

17. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I'm doing my best to wait myself. Mainly on a chance of usb3 and quad core avail in the 13" size which I like a bit better then the 15". Although If I do I will probably wind up screwing myself over and have to wait even longer :p

Don't want to buy another REV A :apple: product again and with all its hassles meanwhile I'm holding out still using my core duo blackbook on snow leopord(wont run lion) with a broken display, short in the speakers, and dead battery. Its become a non portable or desktop ;)

18. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

19. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

At least Apple stuck to decent TN Panels. In the entire industry everything gets faster and better except for displays those got worse over the years in the notebook space.
    Expensive Desktop Panels are great and even better are the small smartphone panels but in the mainstream middle ground of notebooks 95% of screens are crap and the renaming 5% didn't change for the better either.

A push in a new direction would be really nice here. Apple could do it. They have the volume. Its cheaper to stay TN but there is R&D in so many directions and nothing shows up in notebooks.

20. Liquinn Suspended

I'm debating to wait, as I won't have any money for a MBP until January 2012

By then it'll only be 2-4 months at most, possibly until we see Ivy Bridge MBPs.

Apple do need to redesign the MBPs at somepoint...