Wait for JB or is there another way?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Snowy_River, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Hi everyone,

I have an iPad 1, and there is a particular hack on an app that I want to implement which requires that I get access to the Documents folder for the app. I used to have my iPad JB'd, but gave it up when 4.2 came out and I didn't want to wait for the JB solution.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a reliable way to JB 4.3 right now for Mac users. So, my question is whether I have to wait for such a solution to come out or if there is another way that I can hack into the Documents folder for the app.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

i0n1c's 4.3(.1) tool "Untether" is in beta now and will be out any day, just wait for it.

3. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Best bet is to just wait it out and see what drops next. Also a side note: if you're on 4.3 I wouldn't recommend updating to 4.3.1 until the next hack comes out (since no one knows if it's going to exploit something already patched in the last update).

4. evoke macrumors newbie

That's not the case anymore. The only way to have applied that to the iPad 2 would have been via comex's method , however, that was patched in 4.3.1. It's been a huge setback, I don't know where they're at now, if anywhere. So don't hold your breath.

5. Dav1 macrumors 6502

6. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

Right, except that this man is asking advice for his iPad 1. See above.

7. evoke macrumors newbie

You're right, my mistake. What can I say, I have iPad 2 on the brain! :D

8. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

9. FireSokar macrumors regular

Look for "Cross Over"

10. bella92108 macrumors 68000

yeah 4 iphone not ipad 2

11. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Hmm did you actually click on downloads? There appears to be a version listed for the Mac....

Seems like it might be worth a try...

12. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Are you suggesting trying to run this backup editor in CrossOver emulator? I suppose I could give that a try, though I've never been all that impressed with the capabilities of CrossOver...

Yes. What they have is Mac versions of iCopyBot and plist Editor Pro, but no Mac version of iBackupBot, which is the app that is needed to break into the backup files.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Which leads back to the million dollar question many have been asking, why don't they release it for 4.3?

14. bella92108 macrumors 68000

You need to understand how it works in order to ask that question. An Exploit is a vulnerability in software. You can know about an exploit and yet need to develop a means to attack it.

15. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Okay, I may have found another alternative. I have iDOS. While the current version of iDOS won't allow you to mount root, you can mount particular directories. However, it's been too long since I had my iPad JB'd and I can't remember the overall file structure, and I can't seem to find anywhere on the 'net that details that. So, could anyone point me to the right directory for me to be able to find the applications?

Thanks!!

16. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

Except that, once again, the original poster is asking about the iPad 1, not the iPad 2. Untether for 4.3.1 will work for the iPad 1.

17. bella92108 macrumors 68000

There should be a separate thread for iPad 2 and iPad 1, since obviously they're different animals for Jailbreak purposes.

18. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

var/mobile/Applications

unfortunately, the actual app folder names are hex strings so it may be a case of checking all of them until you stumble across the correct folder.

19. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Well, I was willing to wander through the folders, but, unfortunately, it seems that they modified iDOS such that it only allows you to see the application folder for iDOS itself. So, no dice.

Back to the drawing board...

20. The X Factor macrumors member

Is there a way to change app icons WITHOUT jb'ing? I've searched all over and can't find this answer.

Thanks.

21. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I thought they had an exploit and were actively working on a JB for 4.3 when 4.31 was released and eliminated that exploit. That's why I was wondering why they didn't just release the 4.3 exploit and start working on the next one.

Just for the record personally I've donated and would GLADLY pay for these guys hard work. I'm not sure if they are restricted to not being allowed to charge for JB's, but if they legally could they should definitely do it IMO.

22. bella92108 macrumors 68000

They claimed to have, and they claim to be working on it... but who knows... it seems like jailbreaking has changed over the years, and now it's not a competition who can jailbreak faster, but who can get the most twitter fans so they constantly say "tomorrow... almost.... next week... coming soon" to keep people in their camp.

They can legally charge for anything they want provided it's not illegal, and jailbreaking is not illegal. Hell, if people can charge to sell instructions on how to get cheaper electronics, they can sell directions on how to get a Hello Kitty animation on your phone, hehe

23. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I WANT IT!!! lmao, def kidding!

24. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Okay, so my situation has changed slightly. I now have an iPad 2, instead. My iPad 1 is gone, so I'm back to the drawing board.

So, is there no way to sneak into the filesystem on the iPad? I just want to tweak one file....

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You said the file you want to tweak is in the Douments folder of an app? If so, check out the threads on enabling multi-touch gestures without Xcode, there was some mention there about a way to edit the backup files iTunes makes of your iPad. If the file you want to change is inside the backups, that method might work for you too.