Wait for Leopard, iLife, Office, MacBook Update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ewinterblues, Jul 5, 2007.

  1. ewinterblues macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I am in a bind. I sold my Powerbook G4 and I want to get a MacBook, I just don't know if I should wait until Leopard comes out, because it seems the MacBooks may be updated soon after Leopard comes out too. I can make due with an old desktop until then, I just don't know if the wait is worth it. Also by late October I am sure iLife and Office will have been updated. I am only looking to edit some photos with Aperture on my MacBook. Is there going to be a big speed boost with Leopard? Will that speed help me at all with my uses. Is that speed worth the wait, or should I buy a MacBook now?
  2. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Apr 29, 2007
    There are rather a few 'shall I wait' threads already, so you might get some info there.

    However, no one knows when the next revision of iLife and MacBooks will come out; you could be right, but it's just a guess.

    Big boost with Leopard? Who knows?

    As no one knows what processing speed in the next MBs will be or how the gold master version of Leopard will run on the machines, I'm not exactly sure how you think anyone can realistically give you an idea. In any case, what some people people might think is worth waiting for, others would not - it all depends on the need of each user.

    If not having a new MB is causing you to work less efficiently and this is driving you mad, then get now. If not, then by all means wait - but as I say, no one knows when the MB will come out.
  3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

    Jun 21, 2007
    I'm waiting.

    The way I see it, I can buy my laptop now, then spend another $100+ on Leopard in 3 months, or wait 3 months and buy it with Leopard already installed.
  4. john2006wright macrumors regular

    Jun 25, 2007
    Don't get trapped waiting. When leopard comes out the rumors will start about new MB at macworld so you will wait again and if it doesnt arrive then it will "definately" arrive at WWDC and so on...
  5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816


    Mar 23, 2007
  6. The Stig macrumors 6502a

    The Stig

    Nov 4, 2006
    On the track
    I don't think the new version of office will come out until sometime in 2008. Don't wait for it. Get by with open office until office 08 comes out.

    The Stig
  7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

    Jun 21, 2007
    I'm not going to get sucked into an eternal hardware waiting game. Something newer and better is always around the corner.

    But in this case, it's pretty much a guaranteed $129 expense just 3 months from now. Buying now just doesn't make sense for me.
  8. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Apr 29, 2007
    The official statement from MS is that it's scheduled for release in the second half - Vista aside, the company normally releases software when it says it will... even if it might have been prudent to wait. :p

    Good call on OpenOffice.
  9. T-Mac macrumors member

    Jul 6, 2007
    I'm waiting also, because...

    1. Leopard
    2. Hardware updates
    3. iLife update

    Leopard should be out in October, and November will be 6 months since the last Macbook update. It's a safe bet that LED screens will be included and the on-board graphics will get a boost with the x3100 chip. These things combined are a fairly significant reason to wait if you can. New iLife apps are just a bonus.
  10. antibact1 macrumors 6502

    Jun 1, 2006
    I'm guessing you haven't read any of the previous waiting type posts. Let me summarize them all for you.

    If you need a computer now, buy one, be merry.

    If you can wait a bit, do so. Likely as per the reasons listed previously (LED displays, better graphics card, etc.) there will be an update in the near future.

    Keep in mind, there is always going to be something new and fantastic on the horizon. Unless you have a lot of cash, you aren't going to be able to stay current constantly.

Share This Page