Wait for Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stang68, May 29, 2007.

  1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

    Stang68

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I am a college student and am in the market for a Mac Book Pro. I just got back from the Apple store and had all my questions answered. I found out about Leopard (at least more than what I knew) and that it is coming out in October. My dilemma is, should i wait for it to be installed already on the Pro and get the whole laptop in October, or should I just get the laptop in June and then wait to see how Leopard is and buy it at a student discount price and install it myself? My dad and I are kind of butting heads on this subject. He says to wait and i say i can get it now and install it later. He thinks it wont work as well if i buy just leopard in octorber and the pro now. I'm impatient, i know, but i have the money now and Tiger works amazingly well. The Pro's are ready for 64-bit, so if i install Leopard seperately in october, i shouldnt have any problems, right?

    Please, give me your opinions, guys.

    Thanks a lot!
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    I'd wait for a hardware update to the MacBook Pro first. It's only $69 to get OS X academically. There aren't any updates to Intel's mobile platform until next year as it is.

    Having your old Tiger discs gives you a fallback option from Leopard.
     
  3. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #3
    I like to upgrade a fresh install, wipe and go. That means backing up all your data, software, installs, mail, and checking all your settings because you have to start from scratch. Though my no means do you have to do this. It will still work just as well if you don't. I think however there is more drive space taken up because it doesn't remove everything from the older OS. Definitely wait another couple weeks for the MacBook Pro update that will use the newer Santa Rosa chipset. Also, the student discount on Leopard should be $69. So that's not bad. And I would say, wait for the 1st or 2nd revision to Leopard to be out before buying. Usually by the .1 or .2 they fix most of the early bugs and the software devs get a chance to make everything work more seamlessly. 10.5.2 is a good bet. Buy, install, download updates.
     
  4. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Stang68

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #4
    so, you're saying i should be fine if i get the mac book pro now with tiger and then wait to see how leopard is and then decide if i should update?
     
  5. theISHkid macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2004
    Location:
    Moore, OK
    #5
    Be careful about playing this game... I would wait for a MacBook Pro refresh (don't wait for the OS refresh). I just talked a friend into a macbook even though others were telling him to wait till october when the os comes out. But if he did that he would only be a few more months away from a refresh. Sometimes you just have to jump in. And not to talk down on Apple... but I'm not seeing in really big stand-out-must-have features in the next version anyway. At least nothing that I am dying to have.
     
  6. JFreak macrumors 68040

    JFreak

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tampere, Finland
    #6
    I'd say WAIT until they have released new MBP revision (probably at WWDC) and then buy. It is likely that all purchases after WWDC are eligible to up-to-date program, which means you get Leopard for shipping costs.

    Remember though that this is not a hard fact, but an educated guess; usually up-to-date program start date is set once the feature-complete version of the operating system has been previewed. After that, Apple considers all future hardware purchases to include the previewed OS (which they cannot yet bundle to the systems thus mailing it for the ones who are interested).
     
  7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #7
    If you're buying a Mac Book Pro, wait until after June 11th which is when the WWDC takes place which is Apple's big developer event and is where they usually release new hardware, particularly pro hardware. The MacBook Pro is long overdue an update so the general consensus is that Apple will release new MacBook Pros on June 11th, probably with the Santa Rosa chipset, a newer graphics chip and maybe LED backlighting on the LCDs (better battery life).
     
  8. mattsajay macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    #8
    Thats interesting: Does this mean buying a MB too after WWDC will entitle me for this. How does one tell apple during the purchase that I am indeed interested in the Leopard OS whenever they are ready to ship it.?
     
  9. JFreak macrumors 68040

    JFreak

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tampere, Finland
    #9
    Probably.

    Previously, after the OS release, Apple.com has previously had pages for ordering the upgrade discs. It's like 20 bucks or so to get the upgrade so it's worth the wait if you're not in a big hurry.

    Now the thing is nobody can say where Apple will draw the line. It may be WWDC but it may just as well be 30 days before Leopard release date. Or something in between, but it has always been at least 30 days. Make a guess and live with it ;)
     
  10. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #10
    Personally I think you should wait until OS X 10.6 to purchase. It seems kind of stupid to purchase a laptop with 10.4 or 10.5 when 10.6 is only a couple years away!
     
  11. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #11
    Depends how urgently you need it.

    If you really can't wait then wait a few weeks for the new hardware - and if you're in no hurry then wait for Leopard and even the updates.
     
  12. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

    PCMacUser

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2005
    #12
    Heheheh! Ahem, yeah!
     
  13. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

    PCMacUser

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2005
    #13
    Yep. Wait until the WWDC Macbook Pro update before you buy. But there's no problem in buying Leopard on its own later when it is released.

    Also, you won't need to see how Leopard is. It'll be new and exciting and we'll all want it regardless.
     
  14. JFreak macrumors 68040

    JFreak

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tampere, Finland
    #14
    Depends on what you do; for example, most audio professionals will likely wait for about half a year before upgrading operating systems. Even then, the upgrade will more likely be dictated by Protools requirements rather than how bad the operator wants the new system ;)
     
  15. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Stang68

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #15
    Ok, so im starting to think i should wait for June 11th haha. From what I've read, the MBP has not had an update in a while. I'm excited to see what Jobs has in store at WWDC!

    btw, thanks for all of your quick responses!
     
  16. E-Strong macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Location:
    Cincinnati
    #16
    True,

    Those DJ's and Turntablists using M-Audio Torq or Serato Scratch Live (or similar digital DJ interface products) will have to wait until the interface software will be compatible with the new OS. Nothing like trying to mix a set and having your software bomb. But then again, this is the reason I WILL be getting a Mac Book or an IMac for the sole purpose of moving to "Digital Vinyl" because every DJ I know uses a MAC for this application and nobody uses Windows cause it bombs. But then again, Windows bombs with everything you use so what's the surprise there. :D Since I've heard about the possible IMac updates coming I'm going to wait before buying one. My application will be more studio based so going mobile with a Mac Book is not a huge priority. I can always haul the IMac out to a club or show here or there without issue but we'll see what updates come out and what the prices will be.

    E....

    ps, Here's a couple of links for you tech heads who would like to see what this "Digital Vinyl" revolution is all about. Instead of 20 crates of records you just take your Mac with all your MP3s or AAC files. Enjoy.

    http://www.rane.com/scratch.html

    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqConectivVinylCDPack-main.html
     
  17. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

    PCMacUser

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2005
    #17
    Yep, I totally agree. I was appealing more to the home user 'must have it now' mentality :)
     
  18. klb028 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    Texas
    #18
    Okay, wait! I am so beyond confused... I thought Leopard was rumored to be released (and it was pretty positive) at WWDC in two weeks? Is it really going to be released later on in the year? If that's the case, I've been waiting for nothing! Any information you can give me on this is greatly appreciated. :)
     
  19. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #19
    Apple is going to be showing off the rest of the features of Leopard and will be giving all of the developers a full beta copy. They are planning to ship Leopard in October. :)
     
  20. klb028 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    Texas
    #20
    This is actually really shocking to me because I've basically misunderstood everything for an entire month, haha. I feel so silly waiting for something that wasn't really coming out at all. Leopard was the only thing holding me back from my laptop purchase for college. I was almost positive it was coming out at WWDC, but the Beta version instead makes sense. Was this officially declared anywhere? Thanks for informing me. :)
     
  21. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #21
    Apple announced it about two months ago.

    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/04/12/apple-delays-leopard-release/

    Don't forget to wait for the free iPod promo. It should be starting next week.
     
  22. klb028 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    Texas
    #22
    I really can't believe I missed this! Wow... I'm so behind. Thanks for the link. I remember you from my "Major negativity..." thread. :) You were a ton of help! I'm definitely waiting for the iPod deal for sure. Crossing my fingers for next week as well.
     
  23. 2hondas macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #23
  24. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #24
    Yeah, the free iPod deal last year started on June 5, 2006 and ran until mid-September.
     
  25. 2hondas macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #25
    Really? haha, sweet. June 5th is my birthday! :D
     

Share This Page