Wait for lion or not

Discussion in 'iMac' started by igoodso, Jun 11, 2011.

1. igoodso macrumors member

Do you wait for lion before you buy an iMac because your restore disk will be snow leopard

2. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Uhm lion isn't going to be on disks anyways according to apple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I imagine that new macs released after July, or perhaps after the next model refresh in a years time will have a Lion disk with them, even if you can't buy Lion on disk

4. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

ya i guess so...we will just have to wait and see

5. igoodso thread starter macrumors member

Will there ever be a restore disk again because they have said lion will partition apart of the hdd for restore so no need for cd ??

6. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I would just buy it now. It will still come with a Snow Leopard restore disk for a little bit after Lion is released. I bought my mac in September '09 and it came with a Leopard restore disk while Snow Leopard was released in August '09 (I did get a free Snow Leopard upgrade disk in the box though). So even if you get a Snow Leopard restore disk you can always restore to Snow Leopard and then upgrade with your free copy Lion. Any mac purchased between now and the time Lion is released gets Lion for free when it comes out on the Mac App Store.

7. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I wonder how legal the hack is that been posted online to make a boot CD off of the Lion App Store download

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

They will need some kind of restore disk or USB flash drive; this will be needed if your HDD dies completely and you replace the entire HDD.

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If apple truly meant "Lion ONLY available on Mac Appstore" then snow leopard could be the last gen of restore disk/thumb on every new mac . From here on Lion, os backup would be on your hdd/ssd.

Apple really want to remove physical media as distribution medium, and i think it started already. So u want restore dvd? I think current new macs could be the last ever :p

How if hdd fail and u cant reinstall lion from recovery partition? Well you'd end up bring your mac to apple authorized service anyway if that's the case. So why would apple should bother about restore dvd anymore, right?

Long story short, if hdd is failed, you'd screwed even if u have restore dvd

I could be wrong though. Apple could just their mind and provide lion as retail and restore dvds again :)

10. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i would hope apple provides reinstall media with their new computers. I don't think what we heard so far precludes it. I hope we get USB drives like they do with the Air

11. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

So why would Apple not provide a process for burning a bootable Lion DVD or a making a bootable thumb drive for recovery?

Or just clone your system partition to an external drive and boot from that?

Of course you could just take your Mac for a ride in the car if that floats your boat ;)

12. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

I've waited this long to switch to a Mac (PC user for the last 20 years) . . I figure another month or 2 wont hurt. I'll wait til iMacs come with Lion installed to order mine - and finally make the switch to Macs! Looking forward to it.

13. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

why?

Buy an iMac today and get Lion free later. Big whup. why wait.

Install it or dont, up to you.

Is there some reason you think you *need* lion?

14. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

I figure that I'm gonna learn an entirely new OS coming from a PC. Might as well start my learning process on the "newest" OS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. apple.fiend macrumors member

With all the new crap being added to Lion might as well get familiar with Snow Leopard now, and just learn the small new features later. Just my 2 cents.

16. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Jesus Toe Tapping Christ - how is it remotely a 'hack' to burn a DMG to a DVD?

17. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

This makes sense to me. Then you don't have to unlearn stuff.

If you are into technical books to help the learning process, there will no doubt be a "missing manual" title for Lion, and I'd recommend taking a look.

18. Michael D. macrumors member

I'm also switching from PC to Mac.

I don't think upgrading from SL to Lion will really be a major hindrance. You learn as you go. The new features in Lion are unlikely to make OS X harder to use. Just my thoughts, I'm receiving my iMac next week. :)

19. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

You don't even have to restart your computer to install Lion lol

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm sure it will need a reboot to finish off the install. We had a font update in April that needed a restart so I can't see how a full OS update can be done without restarting.

21. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Thats what I thought but at WWDC they said no restarts will take place during the entire process.

22. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Cool . . I'll keep an eye out. I've been learning a little by little mainly on the web - and by asking questions on this forum (lots and lots of knowledgeable folks here). I'm really looking forward to making the switch soon.

23. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

Apple has good tutorials, both video and text, granted they are not yet Lion-based, but since most of them cover basic principles, few of them will change with Lion. Also look in Apple's video podcasts on iTunes. They tend to be brief, to the point, and well narrated.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

24. -iKris- macrumors regular

I've been waiting a long time to switch from PC to Mac too, but I'm not bothered about waiting for it to ship with Lion. As soon as I heard that Lion would be a free upgrade for all Macs bought after June 5th, I ordered an iMac!

Mine's arriving Tuesday!

25. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i'm guessing a restore flash drive will come with lion computers