Wait for Macbook Rev B? *(fixed title)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nweeks14, May 17, 2006.

  1. Nweeks14 macrumors newbie


    May 17, 2006
    Hey guys, I've seen a lot of people talking about this randomly but haven't been able to find a thread dedicated to this subject. Since Intel has pushed up the release of their merom mobile processors do you guys think it would be smarter to wait for the merom macbook notebooks? They could, theoretically, be out in August I guess but then again macbook itself didnt come until almost 5 months after the pro model. Also, considering the complaints with Macbooks weight and glossy screen it seems like some of these issues would be addressed not to mention the inclusuon of 64 bit technology on the merom and better battery performance. I dont know...those are just some of my thoughts, and I am certainly open to all of you guys opinions. Just want to get some insight as to what the rest of the mac community is thinking as far as the best time to make the intel jump. As you can see from the hardware I'm using now I am getting to the point of desperation for an upgrade. So to wait or not to wait?
  2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816


    Dec 24, 2005
    I wouldn't count on a Merom powered MacBook out until MWSF 07.

    The MB has been out for one day. So who knows what will be in Rev B. All we can do is guess.
  3. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 11, 2005
    Go to an Apple Store and use one. If you like it, and it's fast enough for what you need, buy it. Anything would be an upgrade from the G3. If you get Rev B, then what if you want to wait for Rev C? You'll be waiting forever. :rolleyes:
  4. Nweeks14 thread starter macrumors newbie


    May 17, 2006
    yeah, you are most likely correct. It's just I am a student and I want to get the best I can with what money I have and there are so many options to deal with. Do you go with a powerbook or ibook off ebay or something and wait until merom or just go with macbook now. Because frankly, my ibook just doens't cut it these days. BAH too much to think about. My main question to guide this is a merom chip worth waiting another 6 months for or do I go intel already and get it over with?
  5. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 11, 2005
    If you are just a student you will be spending most of your time on Safari, chatting and listening to music on iTunes. A Merom chip won't help you type your papers faster but might open Safari with one less bounce. ;)
  6. danny_w macrumors 601

    Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I don't think you will see a Merom in a Macbook for quite some time, if ever, but certainly not in 6 months time. The MBP might get it in 6 months, but not the Macbook (non-Pro). I want to see more reviews and hands-on stories first.
  7. Nweeks14 thread starter macrumors newbie


    May 17, 2006
    well said...yeah I'm starting to think that holding out for Rev B is just kind of silly at this point. Now I just need to make a quick 1200 dollars...:D
  8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000


    Mar 6, 2005
    Thats the truth, I wouldn't bother waiting for the rev.B even when it does come I think it will still have integrated graphics and the same processor just slightly better versions...

    Besides I was testing out the MacBook's in the Apple store and I can confirm both Safari and iTunes open in less than one bounce they are blazingly fast...

  9. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Yeah who knows when the Merom will show up in a MacBook. Maybe you could just wait a couple months for the MacBook fuss to die down and then pick up a refurb for 20% off of list.
  10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030


    Jun 15, 2005
    The next-gen of Integrated Graphics will support SM 3.0/4.0 so it would be a big improvement.
  11. shadowmoses macrumors 68000


    Mar 6, 2005
    Sorry for the ignorance but what is SM 3.0/4.0?? and would it make any difference to the average consumer like me who uses web-browser, iTunes, Office, watches AVI's and uses Toast?

  12. MRU Suspended


    Aug 23, 2005
    Shader Model 3/4

    For gaming not for any of the apps you are interested in. In fact for what you need the current model is more than capable.
  13. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2006
    In my opinion, i do not think that the merom chip will be put into tehe Macbooks until at least 2007. In some respects, it may never go into the Macbook and it will just jump onto the next gen of processors.
  14. combatcolin macrumors 68020


    Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    6 Months till the next "proper" rev with maybe upgraded graphics, bigger HD etc.

    CPU upgrades are being sneaked out the back door without any fanfare however, so maybe something small (160Mhz etc) in 3 months time?
  15. emotion macrumors 68040


    Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    I think the MBP will definitely get an update in the next 6 months (I think it's an interim model anyway).

    The MB might get a slight speed bump but that's it.


    I wouldn't get a G4 p/i book at this stage.
  16. danvdr macrumors regular

    Jun 5, 2004
    Weighing in on a couple issues....

    As to MP purchase timing I'd say it depends on what you need it for this summer. If you don't need serious power (e.g. just surfin' and e-mail) wait a couple months and see what will be out in the fall--possibly merom, good chance for a speed bump, maybe a price drop. If you're taking classes this summer that require some processing power grab one now--even if merom goes to MP in August/September it's not going to be a huge difference.

    As to Apple using merom chips. I think they most likely will. Merom is supposedly pin compatable with Yonah so it's an easy upgrade for Apple; and since they are now in the Intel world they kind of have to keep up with the PC laptops.
  17. stefan15 macrumors regular

    Oct 2, 2005
    I would just wait for the student promotions if there are any this summer (like free iPod from last summer), and then wait until the end of that and then buy it. So at least that way if RevB comes out with better features, you still got something free out of it.
  18. Se7s macrumors newbie

    May 18, 2006
    Hello guys
    I also have been wondering whether to wait for REV B or just buy the one in the market. My current Windows laptop is well overdue for a change.
    Im a design student, so Ill use the laptop mainly for my work with Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya and Final Cut Pro. Im really excited about the MacBook Pro because of its windows capabilities, so now I can use 3DS Max instead of Maya.

    So my questions are as follows, should I wait for REV B or not? And If I do wait, will it worth it? o, and how long will wait? This thing is giving me a heap of trouble!

    EDIT: I do not live in the states, so I cant benifit from the student promotions :/
  19. jaydub macrumors 6502a


    Jan 12, 2006
    I used to always weigh waiting with buying now, and it really doesn't matter what you do because something newer, faster, and better will inevitably come out right after.
  20. runninmac macrumors 65816


    Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Im thinking we may see them in only the black MacBook. I mean come on, 200 more for 20 Gigs and a black case, they should fill the sweet spot for Pro-sumers when theres a gap between consumers and pro users.
  21. mpw Guest

    Jun 18, 2004
    I don't even know what Rev.A will be like.

    Sorry but it's a pet hate of mine that people refer to the 1st update as Rev.B, why not Rev.A? If you're suggesting that the current MB is Rev.A then what's it a revision of?
  22. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000


    Oct 5, 2004
    The only reason i could see to wait for rev b, would be so they get all the bugs worked out or to see if any arise. Its a new computer with a new case and screen. Give it some time and im sure you will start to see the minor complaints people might have. So far the only thing ive noticed is that it runs a lot hotter than my ibook. Being that the macbook and the ibook are made of the same case material, warping my be an issue. Just a possibility.

Share This Page