Wait for MBP updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by killercars, Jan 13, 2015.

1. killercars macrumors newbie

My dad works for Apple and gets either 20% or 25% (can't remember) off of a regular MBA/MBP 1x/year. The discount doesn't extend to the refurb store, so it doesn't make sense to get a refurb. I'm currently on a 2.5yr old Windows machine and it's getting pretty dated, but it's not going to fail tomorrow. Should I wait for the next update before buying a MBPr?

I am a computer science student so I would need it for school and also running chess software on a Windows partition. (they don't make the software for OSX) I'm a very competitive tournament player, and the software is highly cpu intensive. If the next refresh will provide any appreciable bump in processor speeds then it would probably be worthwhile for me to wait unless we're talking a time frame of over a year.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the 64,000 dollar question, buy or wait. Its been asked quite a bit and for the most part it comes down to this. If you can wait, then wait, if you don't want to wait buy now.

Its projected the new MBPs won't be coming out until this summer when Broadwell is released. If you can wait 6+ months then you'll get a slightly (very slight) faster cpu, better battery management and a better iGPU.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

If you need it now, buy it now.

Waiting 6-12 months will always get you a better computer.

4. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Apple tends to stick to a strict 8-10 month product release cycle when it comes to the MacBook Pro product line, whether there is a new processor and/or graphics technology to update it with or not. They have done so since the first MacBook Pros came out in 2006.

Given this, the last ones came out in July 2014. This would peg the next ones to come out between March and May. Given this, I'd wait, if I were you.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If march-may then they'll just push it to WWDC.

6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

That's not how they roll with the MacBook Pro; again, strict 8-10 month cycle. Plus, they've released new MacBook Pros in April before. They're not going to wait for WWDC out of convenience.