Wait for Mountain Lion or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PlanetExp, Jul 18, 2012.

1. PlanetExp macrumors member

I have the opportunity to buy a macbook air in the weekend, but not after. Is it wise to hold off a couple of days so I get mountain lion at the same go or is the upgrade process so seamless it won't matter?

Thanks
    Fred

2. Queso macrumors G4

On a clean OSX build installed on a current Mac model the upgrade should be completely painless.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. PlanetExp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks you. I think it's just the thought of having a clean installed system and get the montain lion thumbstick with the air is better than having the lion version then upgrade if there's a reinstall needed (if that ever will happen true).

But I'll guess I pull the trigger in the weekend. I'll get the 11 version since I want portability but sadly I will do lots of music and sheet music writing so I'll be mostly working on a second screen when not on the go (which is yet another investment. But I think I will just simply have to test this setup out).

Thanks
    Fred

5. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

There's no more recovery thumbdrive anymore. You reinstall from the recovery partition or the internet recovery in the EFI.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have one of the early ML developer previews. (Too busy to go get the GM). I made my own usb stick using the same method I used to make myself a Lion stick. It still works. If you purchase ML, be sure to make yourself a stuck using installESD.dmg (inside the app) before allowing it to install and auto-delete its own install app, leaving you with the recovery partition / internet recovery as your only option to get up and running in the event of a disastrophe.

7. PlanetExp thread starter macrumors member

Ah, good idea and solves my worries actually :)

Thank you.

8. Dviper27 macrumors member

Might aswell

Might aswell just go for it. ML sounds like it is going to be a pointless upgrade anyways

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Not so. Mountain Lion is Apple's Windows 7 to Lion's Windows Vista. Most Snow Leopard users that couldn't stomach Lion should be happy with Mountain Lion, and it's a "no brainer" upgrade for Lion users. 200+ New Features