Wait for New 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kristi12, May 7, 2015.

1. Kristi12 macrumors newbie

I currently have a 13" MacBook Pro. I've had it for 6 years. I had it upgraded to 8GB recently but it's definitely time for a new one for what I use it for.

I have been looking into the entry 15" MBP but have heard that they might be releasing an updated version after the WWDC? Not sure if that is true.

I'm having issues with my 13" MBP and am working on my Master's thesis so I really need a reliable computer. Keep in mind I use Final Cut Pro X and Photoshop Elements, often.

Here are my current specs vs the new MBP I want to get. Please let me know if the new update is worth the wait? Or will it be minor?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)
    2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

TO

MacBook Pro (15-inch)
    2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Thanks in advance!

2. fastasleep macrumors 6502

fastasleep

Wait to see what happens June 8th (WWDC). You've waited this long. Even if the new ones aren't worth the wait, it'll push prices down on previous models and/or make them available in the refurb store.

They just updated the 13" with no mention of the 15", so it's very likely coming soon. Force Trackpad being the only notable hardware difference really.

3. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

That's a similar dilemma to what I was just in. I decided that I was going to hold out to see what comes of any pending 15 inch accouncements and then either try to pick up a refurb of the mid 2014 on the apple store or try to score a really good deal on someone who is selling one to upgrade.

I ended up finding a killer deal already so I just pulled the trigger now, but if I were you, that is what I would do is wait and see what happens. Then you can either decide if the new machine is what you want or save a couple hundred extra bucks on a previous gen mac.

Cheers!

4. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Waiting until WWDC on June 8th isn't a bad idea if you can hold off for another month or two. I bought a 2014 rMBP 15" for around 2200. I needed a nice computer now and didn't want to wait until June/July or maybe even the Fall.
    I may upgrade if they announce a significant upgrade to the 2014 model, but otherwise i'm happy with the machine I have. (It's still a beast and will be for many years.) You can't really go wrong with waiting or buying a 2014 Model (as long as you get a good deal on it.) :)

Kal.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Wwdc

Is a developers conference not a hardware announcement, I don't know why anyone would think it's important for macbook updates.

The 15 inch will be updated when intel release the appropriate processors, if that is broadwell it could well be in the next month or so; if that is skylake (they might skip broadwell) then it could be any time from autumn to the middle of next year. (although if thats the case they may upgrade the dGPU, they are getting to the stage where they sort of have to).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

WWDC 2013, they announced an update to the MBA
    WWDC 2012, they announced new models of the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro
    WWDC 2010. they announced the iPhone 4.
    WWDC 2009 , they announced new models of the MacBook Pro

While it is a developers conference they have in the past used it to unveil new hardware.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Maybe so

but they will only be able to if Intel release the chips, Intel haven't (as far as we can tell) so WWDC is unlikely to be a launch platform for it.

I reckon they might mention a new Apple TV thats about it.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Intel plans to launch them still in Q2 and that means June is the last chance.
    At least this roadmap says the desktop Iris Pro chips will still launch in Q2 and it seems likely the mobile versions of the same chip will launch alongside it.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Why do you say that???

There really is no indication that mobile versions will launch alongside it.... Assumption is not evidence.

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

That's NEVER stopped Apple from announcing hardware before...

----------

Mobile versions of Broadwell didn't release at the same time their desktop counterparts launched.

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Last year's mainly focused on software but it's not always like that. For instance, in 2012 they announced the first 15" rMBP at WWDC.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're right, they are waiting for Intel, but that wasn't your post. You mentioned that WWDC is a developers conference, not hardware announcements. I posted that apple does in fact use WWDC to unveil new hardware.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They have used it to announce hardware, but there is no reason to expect it to be used to announce hardware and there is especially no reason to expect a hardware announcement in a months time when the chips are seemingly unreleased. I am just pointing out that expecting a hardware announcement at a developers conference is a bit silly when there is very little in the pipeline wether it has been used to announce hardware before or not. There is an expectation for it on these boards wether the evidence supports it or not.

By all means expect it if the chips are released next week, but the combination of it being a software conference and a lack of any evidence that a 15 inch macbook pro update is imminent means that saying wait for WWDC is reaching for straws....

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Are there any Desktop Broadwell? Lately Intel has prioritized the mobile segment because it is just simply more important these days. Once they produce the chips and their mobile partners are waiting for them I doubt they will just launch the desktop versions and wait around with the mobile ones.
    Intel also has announced new chip launches at the same time hardware announcments were made. Just because there wasn't any news yet does not mean anything. Apple almost exclusively uses these chips. So they are likely to be announced when Apple shows up with their hardware.
    I doubt very much there will be much of a delay.

Officially those c and r series chips haven't been launched yet but it should be sometime in June.

15. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    A reason to expect it is because Apple does whatever the crud they want and aren't going to tell us what they will or will not announce. Yeah, you are right about there being no real evidence suggesting an update... but when was the last time Apple gave us evidence of anything (aside from Chinese leaks?) ;)

Kal.