Wait for new iMac 27 or buy new mac mini+display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by inkandberry, Jun 23, 2010.

  1. inkandberry macrumors newbie

    Jun 23, 2010
    I've been wanting a new computer for the past two years. But now I really need one and I have the money to buy the iMac I want and can afford. The low end 27 inch. But with the update about to drop I don't want to end up like my last computer (ibook G4,bough on Christmas 2005) and get it a few months before the new one came out (then is was the MacBook) when I could have just waited a LITTLE longer.

    Now my dilemma is that I really can't take the wait any longer. And the new mac minis have just come out and now I'm starting to wonder if this could be an option for me. So I can finally stop waiting.

    With my new computer I will use the Adobe Creative Suite, internet, blog, I don't play games.

    I don't have a display and I need a good one. So what should I do? Wait some more. Might be until October and I will seriously cave and get an old iMac if it's that long.

    My deadline is the weekend of July 31st. Start of my holiday and also my birthday.
  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
  3. inkandberry thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 23, 2010
    I need at least 24 inch screen because the Adobe suite palettes require a lot of real estate and I need to be able to see everything on my page.

    At work I have to deal with an old Mac Pro
    the 2 x 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 4 Go 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

    And it's always freezing and bugging when I run a bunch of apps at the same time which I will do at home too. And this is driving me nuts. I hate slow computers.
  4. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Jun 20, 2007
    The current 27" is far better than the mini. I would go with that.
  5. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

    Sep 24, 2008
    Boon Docks USA
    If you can afford it, grab the 27 inch imac with the i7 in it or at least the i5. Plenty of ram to use. Dont forget to get a fast scratch disc too.
  6. tuna macrumors 6502

    Apr 11, 2010
    The Mac Mini blows, the iMac is a much better deal. You have to value the 27" screen at at least $800 because you actually can't get a display with that resolution for less than $1000.

    Also, maybe you're aware, but 24" monitors are usually 1920x1200 resolution, and the 21.5" iMac monitor is 1920x1080 resolution, so as far as pixel count the iMac is only 10% smaller or so than a typical 24" monitor. It has higher pixel density.
  7. TMRaven macrumors 68020


    Nov 5, 2009
    If you're having to buy a new monitor for the mini, then it's a bad deal. The baseline 27 inch iMac is more powerful, and the screen comes with it :)
  8. inkandberry thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 23, 2010
    At this point I'll probably have enough money for the i5 if I have to wait another month, even if I buy a current one.

    I've never heard of Fast scratch disks before. I'll have to look into those.
  9. inkandberry thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 23, 2010
    Seems I should keep my first idea in mind. An iMac.

    Then I can use it as a display in 3-4 years when it's not powerful enough.

Share This Page