Wait for new iMac announcements?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ewi, Oct 20, 2010.

  1. ewi macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    #1
    Plan to buy a full blown iMac for HD video editing (Final Cut Express) and Photoshop. Looking at the i7, 4Gb ram, 2Tb, 256G SSD. I heard though to wait until Jan 2011 for potential new announcements.
    1) Any clues on mid term announcements??
    2) Any other advice whether this config would be OK? (know that 9 Gb would be better, but Apple mem is VERY expensive, so want to g for 4G - and don't want to go for non-Apple memory because of problems I heard other people have with it).
    3) Final Cut Express 4 OK?

    thanks
    (still a windows user, so this would be my first Mac...)
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    1. iMacs were updated few months ago so I wouldn't expect an update before March 2011. Just pull the trigger now unless you want to join the endless waiting game. It can be another 6 months before an update

    2. 3rd party RAM will work fine. There is no "Apple RAM", Apple uses various brands such as Crucial and Samsung. You can buy from OWC for example
     
  3. smali macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2010
    #3
    Why not just go for a base 6 core macpro?

    Much better for what you are planning to do, will last a lot longer (better upgradability).

    Sounds like money isnt an issue hence the suggestion.
     
  4. ewi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    #4
    iMac (OEM memory) vs MacPro

    I initially was thinking about buying a MacPro, but now that iMac can host a second internal (SSD) disk, I think an iMac should do the job as well ... at a far lower price point...

    If I put in non Apple memory in the iMac, will I still be covered from a warranty perspective? Can they make a problem out of it when I have the AppleCare plan but added oem memory myself?

    If I take the standard 2x2 Gb mem, can I then just add eg 1x4Gb ?
     
  5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

    TMRaven

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #5
    Yes, you can. Make sure to have the 4gb stick in a bank by itself and the already 2 existing 2gb sticks in the other bank. That'll keep your memory totals for each bank equal, thus keeping the dual channel memory bandwidth.

    Adding other oem memory will not void will warranty, as apple uses it themselves.
     

Share This Page