Wait for new iMac or make mine better?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleJuiceBox, May 4, 2015.

1. AppleJuiceBox macrumors member

I have a 2013 iMac 21.5 inch and its getting kind of slow strangely enough. For example it takes more than 5 secondes to open a pages doc. Its kind of laggy.. Its probably du to the fact that have a lot of tabs open and more than 10 preview docs open at the same time all the time.

Also, having a retina display on every single device but my iMac kind of makes me hate using it. I was wondering whether I should wait for the new iMac 21.5 with retina display. Theres isn't any rumor about its release. Do any of you have any idea when there should be a new one? Could we see new designed iMacs this summer?

Should I maybe save my money and simply upgrade the HDD to an SSD inside the computer? Will that make any difference? What would you guys do in my place?

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

No one can tell you that, but it is quite possible. It would be strange for Apple to leave the 21" without a retina display and the hardware inside should be able to drive a 4K panel (needed to achieve retina on 21") without too much problems. Also, if you look at MacBook Pros, first came the 15" then, a few months (if I remember correctly) later came the 13" Retina. So, it is probably coming, but you never know.

I would wait a few months as your computer is not that old. And yeah, HDD is to blame for the lag and an SSD would improve the speed, but it is quite possible that the 21" Retina will come with a Fusion Drive standard, so, I guess wait. Unless it's really hard for you to wait - in which case you should get an SSD :)