Wait for new Intel SSDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murdercitydevil, Apr 23, 2010.

  1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

    murdercitydevil

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Location:
    california
    #1
    I really want to get an SSD for my new MBP but the way I see it the price/capacity ratio is still out of whack. The next generation of Intel SSDs promises greater capacities and lower prices, and maybe by the time they're out OS X will have TRIM support. I don't NEED an SSD per se, but I am really itching to get one and try it out. I've never used them before and am dying to see what kind of performance benefits are to be had. I have a feeling this MBP is really being bottlnecked by a slow hard drive. Should I wait it out until Q4, or buy one now, and maybe sell the old one later? Thanks for the advice!
     
  2. penter macrumors 6502a

    penter

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    #2
    idk... just got the 7200rpm i7, and it pretty much flies.
    it all depends on what kind of work you're doing, too. Do you work in the design industry, editing/playing/creating videos & other large files (music industry, maybe?) If so, then I think a SSD will handle really well.
     
  3. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

    murdercitydevil

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Location:
    california
    #3
    wanted to resurrect this thread since I never got an answer and am still just as intrigued about the SSD dilemma. wait or buy now? The problem I see is that the resale value of the old one is probably going to go down the drain once new revisions are out though...
     
  4. cyclical macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #4
    I would wait. The Sandforce-based devices seem to be the performance leaders at the moment, but their pricing is pretty steep. Once competition arrives prices should come down.

    As for TRIM support in OSX, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you :eek:
     
  5. kboller07 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    #5
    I couldn't wait so I ended up getting a 40gb intel ssd to play around with while the new ssds come out. Its incredibly fast and is enough for my macbook pro to run the os off of. Been waiting for something in the 320gb range which I've read should be in the next release but its been a while. The 40gb is relatively inexpensive. Picked it up for about a $110 on sale at NCIX
     
  6. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

    murdercitydevil

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Location:
    california
    #6
    Yeah, I'm itching to get an 80GB x-25 and hopefully sell it when the new ones come out. But something tells me that people in the market for SSDs are tech savvy enough to know about degradation and all that, so I probably couldn't get much money for it. What to do, what to do.
     
  7. penter macrumors 6502a

    penter

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    #7
    idk.. you didn't give much of a reason for really needing a SSD.
    I see it as wasteful spending. why dont u save it for something you actually need? or maybe donate it to charity?
     
  8. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

    murdercitydevil

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Location:
    california
    #8
    Really not the point of this thread, lets stay on topic please.
     
  9. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #9
    Nobody "needs" an ssd.. or needs to have good reasons to want to play with one. We got by just fine before ssd's were available. And by your reasoning someone could say the same thing for your computers you have listed.. some of which could/should be donated to charity.
     
  10. TedJustAdmitit macrumors regular

    TedJustAdmitit

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    #10
    Get ram and wait for the SSD, I have an Intel x25 160gbs and realize that disk space is a bigger pain than I was expecting since I don't want to remove my DVD drive and I hate running VM's on my External Drive. The speed is great, but I just wish I had more space.
     
  11. penter macrumors 6502a

    penter

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    #11
    Fair enough. In that case, in response to the OP, I'd say just wait.

    Btw, the last two computers on the list are for sale on craigslist; South Pasadena (CA) area, and North Miami Beach (FL) area, respectively... if ur interested.
     
  12. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #12
    I think I have come to the same conclusion and will be waiting to jump on the ssd drive again.

    The X-25 80GB was aprox the same price as the 160GB 12 months ago when I bought in.. and eventually sold on Craiglsist due to a lack of space. Hopefully we will see the same thing happen and be able to get 320GB for $400 if we wait a few more months. With 250 - 320 GB I will be able to load all my usual stuff and not be running at full capacity.

    I'm just torn whether I want to hold off on the ram until I get the ssd and save that money too.. I am getting by just fine on the 4 but I do like to max my RAM out on my MBPros.
     
  13. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

    murdercitydevil

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Location:
    california
    #13
    With the RAM I would definitely hold out. I never even considered maxing it out just because I don't see a need. I don't use VMs enough to where it's an absolute must. That said, I would like to max out the RAM also, just for the sake of future proofing/squeezing out as much perf as possible. But the prices on an 8 GB kit are crazy right now.
     
  14. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

    AttilaTheHun

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    #15
    me too thinking about the ssd but you are right too pricy and when it will be more popolar the price will drop and the value of your MBP too.
    so far I know that the ssd compair to regular HD is:
    rightting to the drive ssd is faster readding is slower about battery usage ?
    about heat ?
     

Share This Page