Wait for new Mac Pro or get iMac i7

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SmilesLots, Jun 27, 2010.

1. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

I'm another one on the fence about the new Mac Pro's, whenever they are announced. I am looking seriously at the 27 in iMac i7 refurb for $1849. This would actually be faster than my current Mac Pro quad 2.6 version 1.1 2006. And while it is not as upgradeable as a Pro, it already has enough for me to use it as an FCS computer.

My other thoughts have been about a used or refurb Mac Pro, but just not sure. I'm still waiting for Apple to SAY something. Anyone have any more ideas or suggestions? TIA

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you don't need the expandability of Mac Pro, then iMac is better deal. Storage you can always add via FW800 and USB so in the end, it comes to the PCIe slots. Keep in mind that you need a display for Mac Pro and equivalent display to 27" iMac is ~1000$.

3. SmilesLots thread starter macrumors regular

SmilesLots

You are absolutely correct in that one, and it is one of my major considerations. I am leaning heavily towards the iMac.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd suggest that you wait because the Mac Pro will be updated very soon and the iMac is next in line as well.

5. Roman23 macrumors 6502

i really doubt this

Lets wait and see in July.. August.. I assume that by the end of the summer, everyone mostly on here is going to abandon ship with the mac pro and move to a pc since the update to a 2010 is taking ridicously long time.

6. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Yeah. Very likely :rolleyes:

7. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Actually.. on 2nd thought..

I wouldn't even bet on it.. Apple clearly knows its position as a gadgets company and mobile computing company. I think the pro market is going to get the least of the upper hand of the stick(did that make sense) - just had 3 beers while typing this,s,.sd'dlddss.s :)

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i can vouch for the iMac. its a TRUELY awsome machine, especially for just CPU based tasks. the RAM is fairly expandable, its really only GPU and HDD space that lack.

the money that you save could be put towards a NAS/file server or move RAM :D

i say go the reburb!

another aspect a lot of people miss - is that the iMac serves as a dual purpose machine, it can take the inputs from other computers and display them. this means that when you get sick of the iMac (in 5 years or so) all you need to do is purchase a MacPro and use the iMac as a screen. :)

9. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Get the iMac now. It's a much better value and a great computer.

10. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

It seems apple is pushing most of us away from the pro to the iMac. The pro is being priced out of most consumers reach. Am contemplating selling my 2008 Mac pro and going toward the i7 iMac. Plenty of power. And if you need more to convert heavy stuff, build your own to save allot of cash. Then use what ever program on the Mac to finish the job. Suggest you grab the refurb. I am thinking about it myself. Good luck.

11. SmilesLots thread starter macrumors regular

SmilesLots

I was hoping to hear something about native blu-ray support by now. The pc side has had it for years. I am greatly disappointed with Apples so called "innovation" in this area. Non existent imho.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

every function bar BD playback is there from apple, i dont see any problems really. computers are for computer work, home theatres are for watching movies. if you want to watch BDs on your mac - go buy a BD burner and rip them into .mkv then watch or watch directly via bootcamp (parallels is NEARLY able to play them back i believe).

the world is going digital.

13. SmilesLots thread starter macrumors regular

SmilesLots

I want to make my own bd's. I have a nice HT. I just enjoy trains and wanted to make HD movies to watch on my blu-ray player. Not interested in watching them on a computer - only making them on a computer. I do have a bd burner. Probably what I need is more time to research and use what is already available.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you're making your own, buy and install Toast, and it will let you edit and play your own videos (because they're non HDCP).

It's with studio created content that you have to make .mkv rips to view it under OS X, as Apple won't deal with HDCP (they've added in the hardware requirements to their more recent products). But still won't license BR from Sony, so can't add support to OS X for HDCP compliance.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nanofrog suggested Toast Titanium which will work perfectly for your needs. if you really want to be a professional with your burns you could purchase Final Cut 3 - which has Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro, both of which handle full HD and can burn to BDs. :)

16. SmilesLots thread starter macrumors regular

SmilesLots

Thanks. I have Toast 10 Pro and you would not believe all the problems being reported on their forum. I also have Final Cut Studio 3 and am in the process of learning how to use that. Recent info I found says I can use Compressor to burn BD_RE's. Someday soon perhaps.

17. SmilesLots thread starter macrumors regular

SmilesLots

Yep. Got FCS 3 about 4 months back. Quite a steep learning curve. Thanks for the confirmation. I recently read that Compressor will burn BD_RE's that Toast 10 Pro will not. Have not tried either yet. Too many other priorities sadly.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

unfortunately i have no idea about it - i presume it should be able too though.